Habañero beef jerky

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heh,heh! The plants grow pretty big, too. Shame they can't take frost. Had one 15 years ago I kept potted - would bring it in before dark. Had it 4 years. Forgot & left it out one night during winter. Killed it. Not really that cold that night either, just a light frost, but there was no bringing it back...

BTW, the older plants actually turn into large shrubs and the trunks aquire tree bark near the base.

jfsmms, cohiba, habañero is as hot as I´ll go. I could not handle a ghost pepper. Those bonnets are a hybrid habañero. The ghost is toooooooo hot! I have spiced stews with ghost, and a little goes a long way! The habañero is forgiving enough that I can slice it and add to pizzas I buy frozen to give them character.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Headed outside to bring my babies in, don´t want no freak frost getting them. Will move them into larger pots tomorrow. Set them into the earth after all chance of frost is gone.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

1/2 of the troops are deployed in holding beds, until they are large enough to transplant to well prepared positions. The other 1/2 to be potted, and replace these in the holding beds, then serve as reservists to be deployed as needed.

These beds are well up off the ground, in case of sustained rain - won't root rot. Likewise, the positions they'll be going to in several weeks are well prepared mounds. Deep holes filled with mix of chicken manure, mowed grass, top soil, turned with spade. The manure is broken down, and has never burned the plants. But with 30 chickens, it's a good way to dispose of it.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey 0311,

They look good!!!

Again, try this little experiment...just to see if I'm correct...or you may have already, who knows.

When you pick the ripe peppers, put a few in the refigerator for a few days before you eat them or give them away.

The reason I say this: One year I grew a slew of peppers, the ones I picked and rinsed off and gave away the next day were hot.

The ones I picked and rinsed, then set them in the refigerator for a day or two were VERY HOT!!!

For some reason, the refrigerated ones were hotter then the fresh/ripened picked. May have been just my peppers, but every one I pick I put in the frig for a few days then eat ....or try to eat them!!

the few varieties I've grown: Zimbawbwe Bird Pepper, Peter Pepper, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Pequin pepper, and a few others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cohiba, I think your'e right. The last time I grew them was two years ago and they kept so well in the freezer that I didn't plant them last year. But I ran out of them this last winter and need more. They do in fact seem to get hotter under refridgeration and freezing. I usually plant tabascos also, but the plants get taller than the habañeros (over 6'), and the tabasco fruits number in the tens of thousands if you have dozens of plants. The habañero fruits are alot bigger, easier to pick, and much, much hotter. I can´t eat them alone with a salad like I can a tabasco. I´ll slice up the habañeros and use them on cheap, frozen pizzas, dice them and use them in stir fry, blend them and use the slop on beef jerky...

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wanted to plant a few Datil...( I guess from-Datil do it?)

Datil:
Datils are as hot or hotter than habaneros but have a sweeter, fruitier flavor especially when fully ripe. Their level of spiciness may be anywhere from 350,000 to 450,000 Scoville units. Mature peppers are about 3.5 inches long and yellow-orange in color.

Datil peppers are cultivated throughout the United States and elsewhere, but the majority are produced in St. Augustine, Florida.

www.prestoimages.net_store_rd2772_2772_pd2102803_3.jpg

Little Beef Jerky with some Datil.....Hot,Hot,Hot!!!
4.bp.blogspot.com__dqiper7Fm7g_Sj2QlnM2IDI_AAAAAAAAIZE_f_YSzik3cd8cc23d6684f20565d98e207de4c5c.jpg

A few others I'm going to grow one of these days!!

Moruga Trinidad Scorpion Pepper.....whew, I start to sweat just looking at this monster! This bad boy will raise the dead from their grave!!!
[Broken External Image]

Naga Viper......OMG!!!! Napalm in a pepper!!
pepperfreak.files.wordpress.com_2011_01_worlds_hottest_pepper_naga_viper.jpg

Red Savina....with this one, just imagine 4-5 red wasp in your mouth!!
[Broken External Image]

I've never seen these two habaneros, but I've heard of them. One day I'll plant them and a few of my so-called pepper eating buddies are going to be introduced to these beauties!!!

Chocolate Habanero:
www.cherrygal.com_images_ChocolateHabanero.jpg

White Habanero:
www.ecoseeds.com_white.bullet2004.JPG

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cohiba, them last ones are tabascos, and you can see why it's such a hassle to try to pick them; you can be in the pepper garden all day, every day trying to pick them all so they don't waste. The plants get huge and you have to reach way in there to get at some o the peppers. My wife and I would take them to Mexican food restraunts in Durant - I mean the ones owned by real Mexicans - not the restraunt chain entities, and they would give us lots of prepared meats and other foods in exchange for them. I'm going to set out 1/2 a dozen or so tabascos, so I can eat peppers individually with meals.
I've grown those reds before, and they make for a pretty display in the garden. What really catches my attention is that pic of the Trinidad Scorpion Viper...

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow! That pepperjoe.com link has a cornucopia - a Scofield utopia - of super hot chiles! He's gott'em all! Yes! Yes! Yes! Even has the Ghosts!

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Frost predicted tonight. drastic action called for! The other 1/2 are planted in the field and covered with hay.

Edit: Zip locks were the best I could do. Got alot of dirt pulled up around them. The ones in the field will fare much better with that hay on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom