Habañero beef jerky

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do just that with jalapenos. I love the flavor of jalapenos, but wish they packed a bit more punch. I've tried habanero salsa, loved the spice, hated the flavor. I've tried straight habanero peppers, loved the spice, hated the flavor. I want something that not only packs a punch, but brings along a good flavor, too.
Sounds like you're in search of El Dorado. Put some thought into it. Mix Tabasco with Frank's. The good cayenne sauces have the flavor, Tobasco has the heat.
There's a Habanero sauce out there right now called Zaaschila that I'm experimenting with. I agree about the seemingly chemical taste of the habanero.
Life is imperfect. Every man must find his own solution.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in search of El Dorado. Put some thought into it. Mix Tabasco with Frank's. The good cayenne sauces have the flavor, Tobasco has the heat.
There's a Habanero sauce out there right now called Zaaschila that I'm experimenting with. I agree about the seemingly chemical taste of the habanero.
Life is imperfect. Every man must find his own solution.

I call that chemical taste, Metallica. I also think he would enjoy tabascos fresh, as an aside with a good salad.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I call that chemical taste, Metallica. I also think he would enjoy tabascos fresh, as an aside with a good salad.
He's on the road. That's all we can expect. He has to find his own way. I won't tell him what to do. Truth is, I'm not entirely comfortable with my own pepper situation.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me give Zatarain's a shout out. They're selling a 16oz jar of ground Cayenne these days. I can find it at the Mexican store on Broadway in Altus. Real deal. Real deal. I disolve that stuff in a spoon and shoot it straight up the hole in daddy's arm.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Next week, habañero beef jerky. Will use a blender full of habañeros, and cut it with 1/2 liquid smoke, & 1/2 soy sauce - just enough to allow the habañeros to puree. Will cut thin slices of of eye of round on the meat cutter.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That does look good.

What I do then, is immerse the meat into the puree, and put it dripping onto the dehydrator trays. It is done in 3 - 4 hours, but care must be taken near the end so that it is not over dryed, but remains flexible. You can bend it, and when it starts to split, it is ready.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make a bunch of jerky during deer season. If I make jerky out of WatMart Milenesa (sp) I'm always worried about bacteria, especially if I'm giving it away to family.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I make a bunch of jerky during deer season. If I make jerky out of WatMart Milenesa (sp) I'm always worried about bacteria, especially if I'm giving it away to family.

I immediately ziplock mine and put it into the freezer. The freezer does not hurt it, at all. It retains its flexibility. That way I can give it out to friends and coworkers w/o fear of bacteria. What is that WatMart Milenesa, a preservative?

Latest posts

Top Bottom