Had to Use My Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About a week ago, I took out a skunk that I strongly suspect was rabid. It was wondering all over hither and yon, and generally acting weird. A skunk being a nocturnal animal, just being out in the daylight is a bad sign, but the way the thing was acting made the presence of rabies all the more likely.

I took some trash over to my farm, and my 89-year-old uncle, Raymond, asked me if I had my gun with me. I did, so he pointed out the skunk and opined that it was in all likelihood, rabid. I was a trifle bit nervous, having never shot a mammal before, but I took my S&W Model 65 in hand and walked forthrightly out to about ten or fifteen yards away from the animal. Taking a two-handed hold I fired the gun DA, and missed, causing the skunk to trot away from me to the north towards the road. I fired again and missed, and started north myself. Stopping, I fired a double tap, missing both times.
Reloading, I fired three more shots, all misses, and then the final shot knocked the skunk out of the picture permanently. It just lay right down and didn't even kick. Raymond told me that each time I fired, that I was coming very close to the animal but that I was still shooting just a tad high. I was of the same mind, so on the final shot, I aimed a little bit lower, and finally hit the animal.
I was more pleased at the performance of the Speer 135gr Gold Dot .38 specials than I was my own marksmanship.
Raymond disposed of the carcass, without touching it . He said that he was going to burn it.
That was the first shooting that I had done since a friend came down, and the first with the Model 65 in over a year, I believe.
This was an object lesson to me that I need to shoot more.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About a week ago, I took out a skunk that I strongly suspect was rabid. It was wondering all over hither and yon, and generally acting weird. A skunk being a nocturnal animal, just being out in the daylight is a bad sign, but the way the thing was acting made the presence of rabies all the more likely.

I took some trash over to my farm, and my 89-year-old uncle, Raymond, asked me if I had my gun with me. I did, so he pointed out the skunk and opined that it was in all likelihood, rabid. I was a trifle bit nervous, having never shot a mammal before, but I took my S&W Model 65 in hand and walked forthrightly out to about ten or fifteen yards away from the animal. Taking a two-handed hold I fired the gun DA, and missed, causing the skunk to trot away from me to the north towards the road. I fired again and missed, and started north myself. Stopping, I fired a double tap, missing both times.
Reloading, I fired three more shots, all misses, and then the final shot knocked the skunk out of the picture permanently. It just lay right down and didn't even kick. Raymond told me that each time I fired, that I was coming very close to the animal but that I was still shooting just a tad high. I was of the same mind, so on the final shot, I aimed a little bit lower, and finally hit the animal.
I was more pleased at the performance of the Speer 135gr Gold Dot .38 specials than I was my own marksmanship.
Raymond disposed of the carcass, without touching it . He said that he was going to burn it.
That was the first shooting that I had done since a friend came down, and the first with the Model 65 in over a year, I believe.
This was an object lesson to me that I need to shoot more.

Yep, shoot more, 10 to 15yds should have been one round, not picking at you, but if your going to carry a revolver, you need to practice!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, shoot more, 10 to 15yds should have been one round, not picking at you, but if your going to carry a revolver, you need to practice!!

Not just a revolver, but any gun you choose to carry.

Yes; I agree. When my friend came down from Kansas I had my Model 627 and we shot that some, but it was mostly rifles that we shot that day. That was about a month or so ago, IIRC. Anyway, I plan to start shooting more often very soon. I'd have been out during this week to do some shooting, but one of my other uncles (Raymond's youngest brother) died late in April and I have been dealing with that. Just about as soon as the ashes are given a proper disposition, (today) I will start back shooting.
So, point taken, and mea culpa.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That could be some expensive target shooting.

Quite so. I have my handloads that I use for practice.

My uncle told me that he would cut an old railroad tie in two so I could use it for a weight to keep the target stands from blowing over, but there are a number of scenarios that I could practice on one bad-guy target while Raymond waits for his chain saw to be fixed.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of a situation I had last summer.. Saw a skunk running across the front of our property, grabbed my old Winchester bolt 22 and ran outside. He was just entering the tree line between us and the neighbors property so I ran over on the neighbors side and waited till he came out of the trees. Fired but he was running 90 deg to me and I didn't lead enough, fired again, missed again. This must have pissed him off because he turned and headed directly for me, 3rd shot got him. I was going to let him lay there for a few days hoping the smell might disperse a bit but when I went back a couple days later the carcass was gone. Thinking a coyote might have carried it off.

This reminds me, bout time to set the traps, I hate skunks...

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Reminds me of a situation I had last summer.. Saw a skunk running across the front of our property, grabbed my old Winchester bolt 22 and ran outside. He was just entering the tree line between us and the neighbors property so I ran over on the neighbors side and waited till he came out of the trees. Fired but he was running 90 deg to me and I didn't lead enough, fired again, missed again. This must have pissed him off because he turned and headed directly for me, 3rd shot got him. I was going to let him lay there for a few days hoping the smell might disperse a bit but when I went back a couple days later the carcass was gone. Thinking a coyote might have carried it off.

This reminds me, bout time to set the traps, I hate skunks...

That's why you have one as your avatar?LOL I agree they are a big carrier of rabies.Skunks and poisonous snakes must die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom