Hamburgers come from where?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y’all… there are elements of truth to many of posts so far. But nobody has 100% nailed it

@TedKennedy and @Bad Hombre are both pretty darn close though

With meat it’s all about freshness, quality, and handling during processing. Handling during processing being key….

You can take 2 beefs in the same processing facility but… beef #1: the kill got botched and it took 3 shots to down it, the guts accidentally got punctured, the newbie got trained to skin that day so you had accidental deep cuts and hair transfer everywhere, the cool room was full that day and the door was opened a lot leading to undesirable higher temps and a slower carcass cool down, it was summer so flies getting into the kill room are a struggle, etc….

Vs beef #2 : it was the 1st one in on a slow day. It was winter. The veteran was working that day. It died fast 1st knock. It was bled while heart still beat. It was gutted cleanly no punctures, skinning was clean no hair/manure transferred, it was chilled quickly, etc….

Obviously the meat from beef #2 is much safer to eat closer raw, rare steak, pink burgers, whatever… speaking of burgers; if it’s super fresh beef like beef #2 listed, then you fresh grind it from a whole chuck roast in your home grinder, on a burger like that absolutely have it pink or even red in the middle…….. vs:: if it’s reduced special imported beef from Walmart I’d go minimum 160 degrees/brown throughout for sure.

With meat it’s all circumstantial. So many variables at play. Fresh good lean pork is completely safe served pink in the middle at 140-145 degrees. Fresh ground beef burgers are safe red in middle (by fresh ground I mean fresh as in you literally just ground it from a large fresh meat chunk immediately before forming patties) but if it’s store bought ground I’d still recommend 160+ in middle.

I worked in a meat processing facility for a bit and butchery is a hobby of mine

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y’all… there are elements of truth to many of posts so far. But nobody has 100% nailed it

With meat it’s all about freshness, quality, and handling during processing. Handling during processing being key….

You can take 2 beefs in the same processing facility but… beef #1: the kill got botched and it took 3 shots to down it, the guts accidentally got punctured, the newbie got trained to skin that day so you had accidental deep cuts and hair transfer everywhere, the cool room was full that day and the door was opened a lot leading to undesirable higher temps and a slower carcass cool down, it was summer so flies getting into the kill room are a struggle, etc….

Vs beef #2 : it was the 1st one in on a slow day. It was winter. The veteran was working that day. It died fast 1st knock. It was bled while heart still beat. It was gutted cleanly no punctures, skinning was clean no hair/manure transferred, it was chilled quickly, etc….

Obviously the meat from beef #2 is much safer to eat closer raw, rare steak, pink burgers, whatever… speaking of burgers; if it’s super fresh beef like beef #2 listed, then you fresh grind it from a whole chuck roast in your home grinder, on a burger like that absolutely have it pink or even red in the middle…….. vs:: if it’s reduced special imported beef from Walmart I’d go minimum 160 degrees/brown throughout for sure.

With meat it’s all circumstantial. So many variables at play. Fresh good lean pork is completely safe served pink in the middle at 140-145 degrees. Fresh ground beef burgers are safe red in middle (by fresh ground I mean fresh as in you literally just ground it from a large fresh meat chunk immediately before forming patties) but if it’s store bought ground I’d still recommend 160+ in middle.

I worked in a meat processing facility for a bit and butchery is a hobby of mine
My ex-wife worked in a small plant that bought old cows and bulls that were only worthy of being processed into burger.
The stories she told me of employees having hamburger fights by throwing the stuff across the room, picking it up and putting it back on the line to go out to the fast-food outlets made me be sure my store bought burger was cooked at least medium well.
I won't mention the fast food places as the processing business is no longer supplying to anybody.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Very good post, and very good info. Back when I hunted, shortly after the civil war. I used those exact same procedures. Had to be a 1 shot kill, head or neck, the animal never knew, always a cold day, lay them out, use light rope to tie the legs out so you could get in there and carefully cut the gut sack away from the carcass, remove the throat and lungs, split the pelvis, remove the poop shoot, and boom, gut pile over there and clean animal over here. I've seen guys rip in there with a huge knive, blood, pee, and poop everywhere. Umm boy. After that you have to take care of the carcass, age it a little, cut it up, wrap it right, and you have some good steak. Now tell us what you know about fat girls, they have to be handled just right as well.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won't put on any weight eating turkey, because you can't stand to eat it.
Now, did you find out if Baldwin is working or not? I had a dream about low walls 2 nights ago, that's not normal
I want to Lose weight
Turkey burgers are pretty good
And
I think he’s still plugging away. Not
Full time anymore I don’t think

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to Lose weight
Turkey burgers are pretty good
And
I think he’s still plugging away. Not
Full time anymore I don’t think
Thanks. I've had a bunch of low wall parts stashed for years, all of a sudden I wake up at 3am with a sense of urgency about getting the rifle built, now I'm scared to call. Good luck on your quest to be a flat belly, I sent the white flag up the pole some time ago.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that.

I've become tired of eating ground beef.

I've been buying freshly ground pork at Crest Foods in the full service case.

I've been using ground pork to make my burgers and I really like it.

Nice change of pace, change of paste, great flavor.

I've even used Crest ground pork in chili.

A hunting buddy was one of them turn it to charcoal before he would eat it types. And everytime complain about it being tough and dry.
I had been talking about butchering a bull, he asked if he could watch, maybe help. Sure, no problem.

We got the bull, shot him behind the ear, nose in a feed bucket. He dropped, we started skinning. Got him hung, finished skinning and gutting.

I take a sharp, clean knife and remove tenderloins. Buddy is watching, I cut a chunk off the end of the tenderloin. Ask if he wants a bite and eat the piece. He is on back side of tree puking. I'm telling him how tasty and tender it is.

Want a change from beef hamburger?
Try ground mutton

Use 100% or mix with beef and or pork

1/3 of each is TASTY

50/50 beef / mutton is my favorite, though

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

I helped my high school classmate butcher a few. His dad owned the packing house and local grocery store in Dover.

Every now and then I'm sure the grocery store doesn't get Angus or Hereford or any of the beef cattle breeds but they get a shipment of dairy steers. You can really tell the difference in flavor even after the feedlot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom