Handgun for the little lady

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some help/suggestions if anyone can. My little missus has been doing some shooting with me and has decided she might like something for herself. We have been looking around but are just not coming up with everything she wants. If there are any suggestions then I would greatly appreciate it.

She has shot both my 40 and 45 and wants something with a little less snap. I think the ticket will be in a 9mm definitely nothing smaller. She is a little woman with little hands. We looked at a Taurus PT111 I think it’s called in 9mm wasn’t real crazy about the 709S that was too small she said. She likes the feel of my XD 40 but perhaps something a little thinner in her hand would be nicer. She is left handed so if there is something that has an ambidextrous mag release and slide release would be nice. But I understand the limitations with some of that. The trigger safety on the Glock and my XD she prefers and also wants a manual safety. Preferably a sub-compact but a small compact may work as well…she will mainly be carrying in her purse (which is little and overstuffed) and possibly on her person (which is little). Revolvers are not somethign she is interested in so semi-auto is what we are looking for.

Ideas??

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm left handed and I have no problems using my trigger finger to release the mag and slide on my XD45 compact.

Has she tried the XD40 compact? That's what my wife carries.

I own a Taurus PT145 and I have to leave the safety off because there is no way I can take the safety off with my trigger finger.

Try to talk her out of carrying it in her purse.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife chose the Glock 19(9mm). She said that it fit her hand and was very comfortable. My suggestion is that you take her to a gun shop an let her handle several different models and chose the one she feels most comfortable handling.

This is what I did with my wife and it turned out well.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also look at the Smith & Wesson M&P series. My wife ended up with an M&P 40c that fits her hand well and has interchangeable backstraps. I do believe the slide release is ambidextrous and the mag release is reversible. Shoots just as nice as my XD40. I think my wife actually would have preferred the 9mm but we couldn't pass up the deal I found on the 40c and she can handle it just fine.

I would caution on the purse carry idea though and if that's the only way she will do it then at least get a purpose built carry purse. After I showed my wife why it wasn't a good idea to carry with a purse she won't carry that way. It's just too difficult to get the gun out if it is really needed and if someone grabs the purse from her or even attempts to grab it she can't get to the gun.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joesglock:

That is what we are trying to do. We went and looked at a few today and will probably look at some more. I just wanted to put out some feelers if anyone had any similar experiences as well as likes and dislikes. Good suggestion!! I suggested the Glock and she just doesnt seem to like them. I am not sure why.

Truckmann:

I was thinking the same about the purse idea...I dont believe I mentioned it to her. I will fly that by her and look at the S&W's tonight online....I appreciate the reccomendations.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I would avoid going to small, even with the 9mm if recoil is an issue. Guns the size of the Taurus Mill 110 can be pretty snappy with 9mm. I shot the Kahr PM9 and it was a zippy little gun.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
me and my girl just went through the same thing. she's shot my glock 19 but the grip is a little too big for her hands (she's 5'4" with tiny hands) so we went to h&h and tried out the kahr p9 and the xd9 subcompact at their range. the grips on both fit her hands really well but the lighter weight of the kahr made the recoil a little too much for her to be comfortable with.

long story short, we walked out of there with an xd9 subcompact with a green frame and black slide (because she too said it has to look good, and it really does)

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might take her to Medlock's in Collinsville. They have an indoor range and several rental guns. She can try out some and see what she feels best with.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, the more your lady practices the less recoil will be an issue. Let her find a gun that "fits" her hand and that she is comfortable with, then practice, practice, practice. However, a bigger gun will absorb more recoil and is therefore easier on the hands of a beginner than a smaller gun. This fact is counterintuitive to a lot of people, but I have lots of women who shyed away from shooting anything because of recoil (all they had fired was smaller, compact guns) really enjoy a full size gun after they gave it a try.

I carry my gun in my purse all the time. It is easier to conceal that way, especially in the summer. Women tend to have narrower shoulders and wider hips which makes it really hard to conceal a gun on your person without some amount of printing. That said, there is NOTHING in my purse except my gun. And I do mean nothing. No makeup, no checkbook, no kleenex, no brush, no comb, no nothing. The two extra magazines are stored on each end in zippered compartments specifically for magazines (looks like where you would store pens and stuff).

Ran my purse through an x-ray machine at a checkpoint once and the security officer there thought the magazine I neglected to remove from my purse was pepper spray. (Opps!)

Finally, don't be surprised if her taste in guns changes over the course of a year, especially if she practices regularly. Her grip and stance will change as she becomes more proficient and that could translate into a change in how comfortable a grip may or may not be for her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom