Handgun for the little lady

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might take her to Medlock's in Collinsville. They have an indoor range and several rental guns. She can try out some and see what she feels best with.

My wife and I did this. She wound up with an XD9-SC. The XD9-SC is a bit heavy, but she carries it anyway because she's confident with it.
Has anyone noticed the newer XD9-SC's come with a 13 round flush fitting mag instead of 10?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll agree with BB very much. When I said earlier in this thread to look at a larger gun, I meant start with a larger gun.

I can honestly say that recoil-wise I would rather shoot a full size S&W 500, than an Jframe airlite .357.

Ideally, if they fit her hand, I would suggest starting with an all steel 9mm. IE a S&W auto, CZ 75, or Browning HiPower to list a few, if they are too big around, there are steel frame guns in 9mm that are single stack. Not only would they be more pleasant to shoot a lot, but they will be more rewarding accuracy wise. I can tell you that it is very frustrating for a beginner or novice to not be able to hit what they aim at.

Which leads me to my next tip. Start up close. Don't put a new shooter with a pistol 15-25 yards out. Start at 5-7 yds. Let them get good at that range before going long. When they start getting good, consistent (this is the key, not just a random small group) groups, then move back.

And another thing. Start slow. As in, don't empty the mag in 2 seconds. Something someone better than I told me, was even when you do start speeding up, shoot smoothly. Don't just pull as fast as you can get on target, try first to shoot one shot every 5 seconds, 2 seconds, whatever, until you can do that consistently.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll agree with BB very much. When I said earlier in this thread to look at a larger gun, I meant start with a larger gun.

I can honestly say that recoil-wise I would rather shoot a full size S&W 500, than an Jframe airlite .357.

Ideally, if they fit her hand, I would suggest starting with an all steel 9mm. IE a S&W auto, CZ 75, or Browning HiPower to list a few, if they are too big around, there are steel frame guns in 9mm that are single stack. Not only would they be more pleasant to shoot a lot, but they will be more rewarding accuracy wise. I can tell you that it is very frustrating for a beginner or novice to not be able to hit what they aim at.

Which leads me to my next tip. Start up close. Don't put a new shooter with a pistol 15-25 yards out. Start at 5-7 yds. Let them get good at that range before going long. When they start getting good, consistent (this is the key, not just a random small group) groups, then move back.

And another thing. Start slow. As in, don't empty the mag in 2 seconds. Something someone better than I told me, was even when you do start speeding up, shoot smoothly. Don't just pull as fast as you can get on target, try first to shoot one shot every 5 seconds, 2 seconds, whatever, until you can do that consistently.

LOL! Easy for you to say. You should have seen BB when she first started. She would go full auto all the time. This was me :lookaroun:faint:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
LOL! Easy for you to say. You should have seen BB when she first started. She would go full auto all the time. This was me :lookaroun:faint:

I ain't sayin' it's easy. Or that it ain't fun. But that is the way to getting better at high speed.

I will say with my Sig, and super low power reloads, I can empty a mag pretty fast. And hardly any muzzle rise. However, while I do think they'd harm a fly, a tough wasp would probably catch them and throw 'em back harder, laughing.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true. When I first started shooting I had two speeds -- on and off. It is a wonder I hit the target at all. I still get a little carried away sometimes ... it is just such a rush!!

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Every woman I have ever known who shoots regularly does the same thing -- and seriously, I have seen a lot of guys do it too. There are just some times that you can't help but go all out. Just to see ... function drill, ya know ...

Nikat is dead on with the targets. Don't try to do too much too fast. She will only get frustrated and turn on you like a rabid dog (least that is what happened with us LOL).

phil74501

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw in my 2 cents.

I have a Kahr K-9...that's the original Kahr. It's an all steel frame. I've shot +P rounds through it and it has no more kick with those than a .38. With normal hollow points it's not much more than a .22 kick wise. Only real drawback is the weight of the steel frame. It would be my choice for a ladies CCW. If you can find one.

Robertson07

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started shooting handguns over the summer. I now own a S&W M&P9c and an LCP .380. The M&P is my range gun as it is great for shooting on a regular basis. The M&P fit my hands the best using the small grips. It has little recoil or muzzle flip. It is very comfortable to shoot for an extended period of time, and 9mm ammo is cheaper than the rest. I can conceal this gun as long as I am wearing a coat or sweatshirt.

The LCP is my "everyday" conceal gun because it conceals with most everything I wear. I have the laser on mine so I don't have to worry with the finicky sights. It is great to have since it is small enough to conceal that way I at least wear my gun and not leave it at home. BUT BUT BUT.... this gun is NOT fun to shoot more than a couple clips. WHEN COMPARED to the M&P... this thing is rough. I realize that over time as I break it in it will get better, but for just starting out this little gun has KICK.

I would definitely have her start out on something the size of the M&P otherwise she might develop a flinch reflex every-time she shoots.

I posted pics of the two in the below thread.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69434

dbarbee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife started out with the Taurus PT111 as her first gun and really liked it. She soon decided it was too heavy to purse carry and switched to an LCP and keeps the PT111 in her car.

I wouldn't recommend an LCP as a gun to learn to shoot with though, after a couple magazines at the range, she's ready to take a break and shoot something else. She can shoot the PT111 all day.

The PT709 is a little on the small size, but for a small 9mm, the felt recoil really isn't all that bad and it has a trigger safety and external safety. It also conceals as easy IWB as my LCP.

If you want to try 1 of them (or all 3) drop me a PM and we can meet at the range sometime.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check out the Sig 2022 and the FNP-9. Both have really nice triggers and very manageable recoil. I love my Sig (night sights) and my wife loves her FNP. My dad shoots a XDM9 - very nice. My wife loves that gun as well.

Have you tired any of the S&W revolvers like the 642? Snappy, but very reliable.

Or maybe a Ruger LCP or LCR?

Latest posts

Top Bottom