Handgun for the little lady

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well we looked and touched quite a few today. She liked the M&P and the Taurus P111 so far. Due to her really liking the manual safety I think she is leaning towards the Taurus. She didn't like the H&K or the Walther....Wasnt impressed with the Glock either..Weight is another factor in if your going to have to carry it you want it dragging you down. There is another pro for the Taurus....Of course the recoil will be more evident in a lighter weapon I am sure like BadgeBunny said the more she practices the less evident the recoil will be.

Badgebunny:I agree with you 100% practice practice practice...And I am sure her tastes will change within a year. She is really excited to get out there and shoot and shoot some more...The more we talk about her taking a ladies class the more shine she gets in her eyes with excitement.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with the M&P a bazillion times over the Taurus. It's one of the "softest" shooting guns out there. I've had a PT111 and it was definitely in the snappy category. The M&P is a far better gun and she can change grip inserts to suit her hand, can't do that with a PT111. :twocents:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my gun in my purse all the time. It is easier to conceal that way, especially in the summer. Women tend to have narrower shoulders and wider hips which makes it really hard to conceal a gun on your person without some amount of printing. That said, there is NOTHING in my purse except my gun.

The next time we meet up, I am sooooo going to snatch your purse............:boxing3:

You might look for a K9, steel frame Kahr. My wife shoots her Glock well, but the K9 is her every day carry because of the size. She does not carry a big purse at all, when she does it is a CCW purse. The Kahr has become her favorite gun.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't get much "cuter" than this! :naughty:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

:puke: Good Lord, I HATE pink guns ... :lookaroun

thats because its not a brick...........................

HEY!! :selfangel

Well we looked and touched quite a few today. She liked the M&P and the Taurus P111 so far. Due to her really liking the manual safety I think she is leaning towards the Taurus. She didn't like the H&K or the Walther....Wasnt impressed with the Glock either..Weight is another factor in if your going to have to carry it you want it dragging you down. There is another pro for the Taurus....Of course the recoil will be more evident in a lighter weapon I am sure like BadgeBunny said the more she practices the less evident the recoil will be.

Badgebunny:I agree with you 100% practice practice practice...And I am sure her tastes will change within a year. She is really excited to get out there and shoot and shoot some more...The more we talk about her taking a ladies class the more shine she gets in her eyes with excitement.

I am glad she is excited. It is well known around here that I was less than thrilled when my husband decided that I was gonna learn about guns and shooting -- something he neglected to tell me before he drug me to the range kicking and screaming.

You guys need to come to an IPSC or IDPA match and give it a watch. They are a lot of fun and your gun handling skills will improve immensely. So much better than just shooting at paper hanging in a lane. And the people are the greatest.

I will admit the weight factor is an issue sometimes, but that is why I have GC. My guns do not feel as heavy when I carry them on my person as they do when I carry in my purse, so if we are gonna be walking a lot, I typically just slide it IWB/SOB.

I have been shooting for a few years now and still have trouble with a horrid flinch. I have a G31 I shoot at practice specifically so when I go back to my G34 it feels like I am shooting a .22. Might be a bit unconventional, but it works for me.

The next time we meet up, I am sooooo going to snatch your purse............:boxing3:

You might look for a K9, steel frame Kahr. My wife shoots her Glock well, but the K9 is her every day carry because of the size. She does not carry a big purse at all, when she does it is a CCW purse. The Kahr has become her favorite gun.

I have seen those. They are decent little guns.

You know ... I might as well put you in my will for this Colt. If I don't you are just gonna steal it outta my coffin anyway! LOL

Hornsby

Marksman
Reaction score
FWIW - My wife shoots a Taurus PT-58 SS and she likes it. It's a .380 though. It does have a relatively large grip for a woman, but my wife is pretty tall and has relatively large hands.

AckleyShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
me and my wife both carry the Ruger LCP.....both love it. I have a 357 in the truck for emergency but always have the LCP as well. I have let several women shoot our LCP's and they ended up buying one. If you can't find one to rent at a gun range, you can always come and shoot ours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom