Handicapped Shooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do we have any of you who are handicapped shooters on the Forum? I've finally been placed in a wheelchair and I wonder if my shooting ability is going to suffer much? The good thing is I now have more places to close conceal my piece. But I think drawing my gun is going to be more difficult. Another great thing is I'm finally short. Before I stood 6'6". I don't like the auto chair's... I really need exercise, so I'll get the gloves and push myself. If my chair doesn't squeek I can sneak up on people. Only I still can't hear, so, I really don't know if my chair will squeek. Are there chair supports to help me steady a rifle? Lots of new questions not many answers. So I'm asking for help here. I know... I'm crazy to ask, but I'll do it anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the Ponca Range, we have a gentleman with no legs at the hip that shoots Steel challenge with our range. He places in the top quartile.
Did I mention he is the Chief of Police in Derby Kansas?
So your answer is yes. Handicapped shooters can still participate in the sport. Shoots like steel challenge, fun shoots, etc are what would be best to start out with.
I have a friend that shot a 3gun match using a hover-round after breaking an ankle, so in reality, there is not much of a limit in what you can do.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at the USA Shooting and ISSF matches in Georgia there are several Handicapped shooters. There is a boy around my age with 2 fingers, several people in wheel chairs, and some other people who would really surprise you with their scores.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a guy that is blind that shoots steel challenges, not completely blind but he does use a cane to feel his way around.

Oh, and he's pretty dam good too....I hated losing to a blind man....

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend here at the church that is in a chair. You have got to see this guy, he is crazy in his chair. He is only 28 and hunts and shoots deer every year. Here is something crazy, the youth minister here takes him hunting and will rig up a pully system and put him in a tree stand for bow season. He shoots clays and hunts all from his chair. I have offered to make him a rest that will mount to his chair but for now he wants to free hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom