Harry's Razors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
glad you found something that works, but i'm curious why you think (or know) that a safety razor would cut the 'crap out of your neck and chin area'?

I'd suggest that any bad experience or fear is related to 1) not having the right combo or razor and blade and 2) poor technique.

Also, as you mentioned, proper prep is everything in terms of the quality of shave.

I have to use a plastic razor when i travel and it's awful. My double edged razor and feather blade leave me smooth as can be (and for roughly ~$.50 per blade IIRC)
I haven't actually ever tried a safer razor. I have wanted to but always feared cutting myself up. Can you shave against the grain with them? I just figured the angle of my jawline and chin would be hard to do since a SR doesn't have the give that my Gillette does. My razor will bow and pivot. If I could get as good a shave as my Gillette with a SR for much cheaper I would definitely switch. That is my only complaint about my Gillette. It costs way too much.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't actually ever tried a safer razor. I have wanted to but always feared cutting myself up. Can you shave against the grain with them? I just figured the angle of my jawline and chin would be hard to do since a SR doesn't have the give that my Gillette does. My razor will bow and pivot. If I could get as good a shave as my Gillette with a SR for much cheaper I would definitely switch. That is my only complaint about my Gillette. It costs way too much.

i'm not in front of my computer right now, but there are some great links on youtube that deal with technique (yeah, it's an odd thing to video yourself doing). These are the blades your dad and granddad used. You can do it.

That said, i've certainly nicked myself more with my safety razor, but only when i got sloppy with my technique. If you have good prep, and find the right blade for you, then you'll be fine.

From the time i started shaving, i always dreaded it because i would always get really nasty razor burn. Then i switched to wet shaving and actually started to enjoy it. I still get some razor burn, but that is generally when i try to stretch it between swapping blades.

When you compare prices (especially against the quality of the shave), you'll never want to go back to the 'five blade' marketing crap again. Honestly, you can get blades for between $.08 and $.50 a blade. At that price, you can switch out daily and still save money vs the brand named 'systems'.

I loaned out my spare safety razor to a friend (which i doubt i'll ever get back), but i do have a good amount of derby blades i'll send you, if you're interested. They might not be the right blade for you, but several places offer a sample pack to help you find the right blade.

Badger and blade is a great forum to get started and for recommendations on products.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I thought I would add to this thread. Based on what I read here, I jumped on the Harry's wagon. Got the blades early December, and felt like they were really decent for the price. Bought my Sons, and SIL sets as stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Fast forward to last Sunday, I had installed a new blade head earlier in the week and had completed several shaves with no issues. Sunday I was shaving(in the shower like I always do). Hit my neck and cheeks just fine, got to my chin and came across my chin(like I always do) and the razor bit me! I thought it was user error so I made another pass and it did it again! So as I’m bleeding profusely I’m thinking “OK so I did that wrong, it’s my fault”. And I go back to cleaning up my cheeks and neck with up and down strokes, and the razor continues to bite me! So I stopped using the razor, got out of the shower bleeding everywhere, administer first aid and am shocked what I have done to myself. I’ve spent the week in front of Customers looking like I’ve been beat up with dime sized scabs on my chin and cheek. I take care of the razors, use the protective cover, but it looks like somehow the blades are “tweaked” on the razor head I have. Not sure if this is an issue you guys have had but wanted to make you aware. It’s going to take a lot of nerve for me to ever use a Harry’s razor again as the effects of my last shave with one were not pleasant.

I sent the issue to Katie, my personal assistant at Harry's(that's what her email to me said). Although it took Katie almost a week to get back to me, and it was Alex, not Katie, I felt that perhaps I didn't really have a personal assistant... :)

Alex offered to refund the price of the blade, and send me 16 blades, and attached to the email was a nice release that indicated if I took the refund I wouldn't hold them liable for anything...

So while I never intended any litigation, I also didn't intend to agree to their release. And I have no confidence in the product so the free blades aren't of any use either. I do appreciate they made some effort to make it right though.

So if you are a Harry's user, beware, you might have a blade waiting to take some good hunks of skin off of your face.

A friend of mine had exactly the same experience last week.

I'll stick to my double-edge.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tony, you can get a shave as good, or better, with a DE or straight razor when compared to carts. My shaves are better than when I used a cart when I use a DE. A straight, not so much, but that's my fault. My DE shaves are better because I don't get in grown hairs anymore. It's get a new one or 3 with every cart shave (and electric), but no longer do since switching. You can't expect to as close when you switch, until you learn the razor. Technique is big here. Your hand becomes the blade's pivot, and you have to learn how your hair grows. I shave with the grain first, then against. Some do a cross grain pass second, but I don't need it. Think hair reduction, not hair removal, and use multiple passes. That will leave you smooth and happy. It does take longer, and toy find you end up with more products. I have a good shave soap, a brush, and good aftershave. It's more than a can of goo and a razor, but it's better, and cheaper in the end.

I always wondered why, back in the day, dads had to teach their sons how to shave. A cart takes the thought and technique out of it. When I started wet shaving, you tube was a huge help

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here is my experience (so far) with Harry's Razors.

My first shaving set (I ordered the Winston package) got lost somewhere in transit. After the post office and fedex blamed each other for 10 days I called Harry's and explained the situation. The rep was quick to realize that the "in transit" status shown for a week and a half by fedex meant that there was no way I was ever going to get the package. A new one was sent, no questions asked. It arrived in a timely fashion. Excellent customer service.

Harry's shaving gel is outstanding. It smells great and lathers up quite nicely. The first time I used the razor, it glided across my face. No cuts or nicks. After 8 shaves (yes I was counting), the supports that run perpendicular to the blade gave out and the cartridge folded. I got VERY lucky and it didn't bite me.

I got another cartridge out of the box and noticed that the supports that had failed on the first one (that was attached to the razor when it shipped) were reinforced on the new one. Hmm.. Interesting.

So far, I'm 3 shaves in to the second cartridge and it hasn't folded up. Time will tell. If the reinforcements prove effective, I'll be a Harry's fan. The razors give a nice close shave with zero razor burn for about half the price of Gilette Fusion blades.

If the silly cartridges keep folding up on me I'll go back to Gilette.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my experience (so far) with Harry's Razors.

My first shaving set (I ordered the Winston package) got lost somewhere in transit. After the post office and fedex blamed each other for 10 days I called Harry's and explained the situation. The rep was quick to realize that the "in transit" status shown for a week and a half by fedex meant that there was no way I was ever going to get the package. A new one was sent, no questions asked. It arrived in a timely fashion. Excellent customer service.

Harry's shaving gel is outstanding. It smells great and lathers up quite nicely. The first time I used the razor, it glided across my face. No cuts or nicks. After 8 shaves (yes I was counting), the supports that run perpendicular to the blade gave out and the cartridge folded. I got VERY lucky and it didn't bite me.

I got another cartridge out of the box and noticed that the supports that had failed on the first one (that was attached to the razor when it shipped) were reinforced on the new one. Hmm.. Interesting.

So far, I'm 3 shaves in to the second cartridge and it hasn't folded up. Time will tell. If the reinforcements prove effective, I'll be a Harry's fan. The razors give a nice close shave with zero razor burn for about half the price of Gilette Fusion blades.

If the silly cartridges keep folding up on me I'll go back to Gilette.

I do like the Gel, checking on the supports, suppose that is what happened to mine. The fact they were so quick to go for a release made me feel this was not a new issue to them...

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like the Gel, checking on the supports, suppose that is what happened to mine. The fact they were so quick to go for a release made me feel this was not a new issue to them...

The reinforcement is a light grey (maybe white) color. It'll be obvious because the cartridges will be two toned instead of just black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Harry's here. I've had no issues worth writing about. I just shave to get it over with. The Safety Razor idea gives me visuals of a bloody shower and twins in the hallway and then Jack Nicholson axing down my door. Hell, I cut my hand with my Harry's razor. I shouldn't even be carrying this knife. OMG now I'm paranoid I'm going to slice my leg open.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reinforcement is a light grey (maybe white) color. It'll be obvious because the cartridges will be two toned instead of just black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked mine, the bottom blade looks like it dropped down, there is a support at the back with slots in it. That blade has dropped down from it's slot. So it's actually bowed a little, which is why it's removing layers of skin when I used it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom