Has the Talimena drive foliage peaked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd weekend in November was almost too late last year. Lots of rain and mild temps have slowed it down this year. MO along 90 and 76 should be just about peak now it was looking really good 2 weeks ago. NW Arkansas is slow to change this year as well, we caught false peak 2 weeks ago with the stuff that turns early.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/driving-tours/fall-colors

[h=4]Southwest Region, including Springfield, Branson, and Joplin[/h]
We are at or near peak color in most of our region. Soft maples in communities and yards are showing strong reds. Sumac, Virginia creeper, and poison ivy are looking more scattered as their leaves fall. Black gum is showing decent red in Barry and McDonald counties. Hard maples are showing yellow to orange to light red in many places. Most oaks are going straight to shades of tan. Predicted temperatures in the twenties on Friday may put an end to fall color. It will depend on how long the freeze lasts and the leaves’ ability to recover from the cold.
[h=5]Fall Color Hot Spots[/h]For fall color drives in our region, try Hwys M, N, J, and CC (Cedar Co.); Hwy 215 from Pleasant Hope to Stockton; Hwy 123 from south of Humansville to Walnut Grove; Hwy K between Everton and Highway 39 (Dade Co.); Hwy D/64 along northern Polk to mid-Hickory Co.; Hwy 54 between Hermitage and Weaubleau; hillsides along the bluffs of the Pomme de Terre River, Sac River, and Turnback Creek; Hwy 90 west of Washburn to Noel; Hwys 112, 86, and 76 south of Cassville; Ozark Mountain Highroad between Hwys 65 and 76, on the northwest side of Branson; Hwy 65 from the Hwy EE exit at Highlandville and south to Branson; Hwy 160, between Hwys 65 and 125; and Hwy 86, between Hwys 65 and 39.

Updated: 10/30/2014 - 1:59pm

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my hardwoods start turning, i'll know when Talimena in turning.

Will you let me know? The trees in our neighborhood are not doing much but I'm in a weird spot and it stays a few degrees warmer around here than over by the lake ... it's just hard to tell sometimes. I may just take my chances this week, load him up and go ... I'm feeling awful restless for some odd reason ...

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went over Talimena a little over a week ago - sweet gums, maples, black gums, sumac, hickory & elm were turning, but not the oaks. The prettiest drive was from Talihina to Honobia.

Cedar Creek

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will you let me know? The trees in our neighborhood are not doing much but I'm in a weird spot and it stays a few degrees warmer around here than over by the lake ... it's just hard to tell sometimes. I may just take my chances this week, load him up and go ... I'm feeling awful restless for some odd reason ...
Yes I will. My oaks are all still green. The Bradford pears are showing a tad of color. Moisture in the east compared to what I've had will be a factor but I have no idea how they compare. Likely wetter in the east meaning my trees will turn sooner than they do.
I would definitely wait. If you have never seen it, its amazing if you catch it in peak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom