Have never owned a Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonHef

Marksman
Reaction score
Years ago, I wanted an accurate 45 acp and was looking very hard at a Colt Gold Cup. I went to the range with a friend who was going to let me try his before making a purchase. That day we shot multiple differant 45's including a Glock & the Gold Cup, and up to that point the Gold Cup was the most accurate, but on a whim we also rented a Sig P220. After shooting it I was shocked on how accurate I could hit with it! In comparing the Colt to the Sig, I preffered the single action trigger of the Colt and the way it felt in my hand.... but I couldn't deny how much more accurate I could shoot the SIg. That day the decision was made... I purchased a two tone Sig p220. That was 20 years ago and have never regretted it. I have shot many thousands of rounds, and may have had one pipe stove malfunction during the first 50 rounds through it. I since purchased a smaller Sig p239 in 9mm for concealed carry.... but the 220 is still my all time favorite pistol.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometime in the early 1993-94ish, all my buddies were getting into 9mm handguns. Being a devoted Colt person, all I owned were Colt 1911's and one Ruger semi autos. Of course I had revolvers in saa and da in various makes and models.

Well, a few of my buddies bought Sig 9mm pistols and were really impressed with them. So, I buy one from Fred Baker/Outdoor America in 9mm, the Sig P226. What really got my attention back then was the decocker lever, not having one on the 1911 models.

Accuracy was fantastic. I never really shot anything at that time in 9mm so I didn't know what to expect. I could put this gun away, come back a few weeks to a few months latter an it was dead on.

I don't acessorize any of my guns from semi-autos to class III, so even back then if it would have had an under rail or lights or lasers to add to it, I wouldn't have bought them.

I've put a few thousand rounds through it and no problems. I've used winchester to blazer to Russian to whatever was the cheapest ammo through it and it shot them very well.

Now my nephew has borrowed that gun for several years and come to think of it....I need to get it back.

New Sig pistols I can't speak of, I only own the one. But the one I do own...its a great gun.

Cohiba

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Mine will reliably feed these:

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Sig_9mmWadcutter1.jpg

Yes, 9mm wadcutters.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a 229 in 40 and a 226 in 9mm. They were both very accurate guns.

However I don't care for them. I think they are a little to thick for concealed carry. I also did not like the sight over bore height. I prefer a glock or m&p to the sig, but I would not turn one away if it was handed to me.

VonHef

Marksman
Reaction score

However I don't care for them. I think they are a little to thick for concealed carry. I also did not like the sight over bore height. I prefer a glock or m&p to the sig, but I would not turn one away if it was handed to me.

I believe the models listed above are double stack magazines... The sig P239 was designed for conceal carry and is very good at it.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to keep my old trap shut here, since I always get banned, but I will say this outright: I am biased and all of you are too, admit it. I have owned Sigs for 25 years and carried them since the SDA law went in to effect. Love the 220 and 229's had 229 handguns in all three calibers but carried the 357Sig for years, then the 239 came along and have carried it since. I love 1911's Commander/ProCarry size but due to back and hip problems the 239 in 357SIG is my gun right now. What you get is what you pay for, or you get what you pay for, sirs.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
........"239 came along and have carried it since....................the 239 in 357SIG is my gun right now."
Me, too (circa 2008.) Although occasionally I do carry a P229 or P220.
[Broken External Image]

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to keep my old trap shut here, since I always get banned, but I will say this outright: I am biased and all of you are too, admit it. I have owned Sigs for 25 years and carried them since the SDA law went in to effect. Love the 220 and 229's had 229 handguns in all three calibers but carried the 357Sig for years, then the 239 came along and have carried it since. I love 1911's Commander/ProCarry size but due to back and hip problems the 239 in 357SIG is my gun right now. What you get is what you pay for, or you get what you pay for, sirs.

Do they give you a senior discount?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

I always hear things about how thick they are. And I won't argue too much, as they do feel larger, but this is my Sig P228 next to my (late) Kimber 1911.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Sig_228byKimberSmall_zps22aa6f3a.jpg

I will say, I nearly always carry the Glock 19 instead of the Sig P228, due to lack up bumpy controls and weight primarily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom