Have never owned a Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You kind of skipped over the P225, an excellent carry gun!!

Yes it is but its not really a "carry" and its 9mm. I love my P6 (1979), and I considered mentioning the P245 but its the same as the P220 carry. Some might find its size worth putting in a hoster and carring but to me they would not make good CC guns.

I took a pic of my P6, P220 carry elite, and the P229 but for some reason I can not post them. To be as clear, I think they all fine choices of Sig guns. But not the best carry due to size and weight.

Last edited:

aod93gt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would exclude the P228 and P229 even though they are considered compact guns. Their double stack mags make them too bulky for carry in my opinion.

I carry a p228 on a regular basis. So, I have to disagree. Some people carry full size pistols.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the Sig “red box”, they are CPO gun and a lot of people sell them as new! Also, just because it says “made in Germany” on the slide does NOT mean the gun was made in Germany if that make a difference to you.

Agreed. Avoid CPO guns. I had a P226 that had trouble with hard primered ammo that would run fine in other guns. I assumed the main spring was worn.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone's different but remember the p228 is lighter than a p229. The p229 is stainless steel to accommodate the .357 sig caliber.

I don't think any is a bad idea so I don't see a bad decision looming here.

ibanda

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I would buy a "red box" CPO gun in a hearbeat. I have seen some very good deals on them over the years. Typically these are police trade in guns and have been gone over by SIG. I don't know what current prices on them are now, but I used to see them at 40% off of new pricing and they come with a warranty. Next time I red box 229 in .40 its coming home with me.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't want 9mm so .380 is probably out too, but I have a P232 that's a great little gun. Also recently acquired a 1911 Ultra Compact (.45 ACP) that's shaping up to be that way too - only about 100 rounds through it so far, but it's accurate and as smooth as any 1911 I've ever held.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm late on this thread, but I thought I'd jump in anyway. I have a p220 compact SAO. The trigger is wonderful out of the box. it is toward the bottom of 'likeliness to be sold" list. The only downside is the grip thickness for only 6 rounds.

chief63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Sig 226 (E2) a few weeks ago. I've shot Sigs in the past, but not the E2. After a few range trips I can say its a very nice, quality weapon: good ergonomics, well built and the SRT is pretty sweet. Off-hand accuracy is what you would expect, but I'm a poor judge when you start getting out to 25 yards. I don't care for the extended beaver tail, but can live with it. The double action pull was serviceable out of the box, but I replaced the hammer spring and its much better and still reliable.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would buy a "red box" CPO gun in a hearbeat. I have seen some very good deals on them over the years. Typically these are police trade in guns and have been gone over by SIG. I don't know what current prices on them are now, but I used to see them at 40% off of new pricing and they come with a warranty. Next time I red box 229 in .40 its coming home with me.

This is true and there is really nothing wrong with the guns. The problem is people sell the CPO guns as new and want the full price. In the normal days, a P220 would run about $800 were the same gun in CPO would be about $550.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My first gun that I ever bought in 1978 was a Browning BDA in 45ACP. Match accurate and 100% reliable. Still have it (and it's original box). Never used it for a "carry gun" but wanted to so in 2002 (or 03?) I bought another SIG P220. Great gun. Like it's older sibling the BDA, it is match accurate and 100% reliable.

Huge fan. My SIGs exceed my expectations for a handgun.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay with the 3 digit Sig's(P220, P226 and so on) and you can't go wrong. P220 45acp is IMHO one of the best handguns out there.

I gotta back up surjimmy on this. I bought a used vintage 1994 west german sig 220 that shoots like butta... dang thing cannot be described in words by mortal shooters it shoots and functions so smooth. That a good enough explanation on why you need a traditional sig?

I would really like to find a "broke in" vintage 226 in 9mm to match my 220, but this gun bubble is gonna make it later than sooner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom