Have never owned a Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite Sig is the 226 (E2). Has a great ergonomic feel, flat trigger and short reset. Very accurate. Make sure to get a nice holster (i.e. Crossbreed Supertuck) and a thick belt designed for handgun carry (crossbreed sells nice belts also).

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Sig 239 and a 238. The 238 was a great gun, The 239 was accurate but I did not like the trigger at all or the low number of rounds it held. I traded the 239 to another OSA member for a mint S&W 636-2 snubbie.

I went back to carrying my Glock 19.

I would like to try a Sig 228 in the near future.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The P-229 in 40 is ,IMHO, one of the best hand guns ever. Summit gun broker in Missouri had some police trade ins for 475, a couple of weeks ago.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I collect sig and I could talk all day with you about sig history and what makes one a collectable. You can contact me via PM if you would like to go through that but to quickly answer your question:

Since you mentioned carry specifically, I think you will be limited to the P239, P238 or P938. I would exclude the P228 and P229 even though they are considered compact guns. Their double stack mags make them too bulky for carry in my opinion. I would also remove the P238 and P938 from consideration because I personally cannot stand the feel of the subcompact models (way to small). But you also eliminated them since you don’t want a 9mm and I sure that includes the .380. And while the P220 is one of the best .45 out there, even the carry model is too big for carry i think; even though that sounds funny.

So the only choice (and a good one) is the P239. It is a great gun and its single stack makes it ideal for carry. The fact you can get it in .357 sig makes it a great man stopping round too.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the Sig “red box”, they are CPO gun and a lot of people sell them as new! Also, just because it says “made in Germany” on the slide does NOT mean the gun was made in Germany if that make a difference to you.

I tried to keep it short but you can pm me and we can talk in detail if you like. Good luck on your first Sig and I promise it will not be your last.

Moore Guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i love sigs but wont buy any for conceal carry. i tend to hit the slide release with my thumb, on the last round the slide wont stay back due to that reason. I shoot with my thumbs foward but always seem to hit that damn lever... :(

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I collect sig and I could talk all day with you about sig history and what makes one a collectable. You can contact me via PM if you would like to go through that but to quickly answer your question:

Since you mentioned carry specifically, I think you will be limited to the P239, P238 or P938. I would exclude the P228 and P229 even though they are considered compact guns. Their double stack mags make them too bulky for carry in my opinion. I would also remove the P238 and P938 from consideration because I personally cannot stand the feel of the subcompact models (way to small). But you also eliminated them since you don’t want a 9mm and I sure that includes the .380. And while the P220 is one of the best .45 out there, even the carry model is too big for carry i think; even though that sounds funny.

So the only choice (and a good one) is the P239. It is a great gun and its single stack makes it ideal for carry. The fact you can get it in .357 sig makes it a great man stopping round too.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the Sig “red box”, they are CPO gun and a lot of people sell them as new! Also, just because it says “made in Germany” on the slide does NOT mean the gun was made in Germany if that make a difference to you.

I tried to keep it short but you can pm me and we can talk in detail if you like. Good luck on your first Sig and I promise it will not be your last.

You kind of skipped over the P225, an excellent carry gun!!

Stoneman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jay,

My CCW is a P220 SAS carry version. In Rgrizzle Georgia Snap. For Fall thru Spring, then P229 SAS in .357 sig for Winter. Both guns fit in same holster plus trigger work by same gunsmith so they shoot basically the same.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom