Hearing Aids. Info Needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of great info. Need to check with my insurance on what they will cover. Have really good insurance through Blue Cross Gold Plan. Fingers crossed! Sounds like going to an audiologist is the best route to go and then figure out from there. Once I get tested I'll have to give Sams/Costco a shot since it seems like their service is pretty dang good.

Part of the need for the hearing aid need is what I'm seeing from my dad. He's 83his hearing is terrible. He also has memory loss that is progressing at a moderate clip. No dementia or Alzheimers and has been tested. From some of the Doctors reports it seems most of the issues is due to concussions and the like from his days playing football and rugby. Deterioration on his frontal lobe. My dad has expensive hearing aids but rarely wears them unless pressed to. At times, my mom, brother or I tell him firmly to go get them and put them in. He begrudingly puts them in but not for long. At large family dinners sitting at the table you can watch him sit there with sort of a blank look on his face because he can't hear anyone talking and is not a part of the groups conversations. He then gets upset with my mom that he feels left out of everything that is going on. Only because he won't wear his hearing aids, can't hear the convos and acts like we are not telling him things or ignoring him. His doctors have said not wearing his hearing aids doesn't make his memory loss progress faster but that there is a correlation between the two.

Anyways, Mrs 788 is thrilled I'm looking into getting something done about my piss poor hearing. And I don't want to go down the road my dad has gone. Appreciate all the intel given here.

What did ya find out about that BCBS Gold plan?

Whitney Woods at Oklahoma Hearing Center, 3500 Rock Creek Rd

I’m going to give these guys a call and see when they can get me in. I’ll let you know if my experience is as good as yours.

Gotta do something. It’s getting outa hand.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Following this thread because I'm in the same boat. Tinnitus began in my left ear about ten years ago. Doctor said it is because I'm a right handed shooter and didn't wear hearing protection when I was young. Occasionally I will get a ringing in the right ear and that really bothers me because I know the affects of the left ear. I have difficulty hearing when there is background noise.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don’t mind, please report back on your BCBS Gold plan benefit.
@jakeman Finally was able to call my insurance. Anthem Blue Cross. Here's what they told me about coverage.

I'm responsible for the deductible or CoPay or whatever it's call as I haven't had any medical/doctors visits this year to bring that number down. So, responsible for $250 initially. Then they will cover 80% of any brand hearing aid offered by a company but that 80% coverage is for the basic version of any particlar model. If I want to upgrade to the mid level or high end version of that model then they will cover only the 80% of the basic model price and I'd be paying the rest. Sorta confusing so let me try this.

Hypothetical:
*Basic model cost $1000
They cover $800 and I pay $200 out of pocket.

*Mid range model cost $2000
They cover $800 (because they only pay 80% of basic model costs) and I pay $1200 out of pocket to make up for the additional price of the better hearing aid.

*THey will pay for new hearing aids every three years.

Knowing all this I think my game plan is to buy one of the more expensive basic hearing aid models I can find. For instance:

If I get a $4000 basic model they will cover $3200 and I will have $800 out of pocket. I
m guessing a basic model costing $4000 is a far better hearing aid than a mid range model costing $2000. That my thought process anyways. Hope this helps @jakeman .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@jakeman Finally was able to call my insurance. Anthem Blue Cross. Here's what they told me about coverage.

I'm responsible for the deductible or CoPay or whatever it's call as I haven't had any medical/doctors visits this year to bring that number down. So, responsible for $250 initially. Then they will cover 80% of any brand hearing aid offered by a company but that 80% coverage is for the basic version of any particlar model. If I want to upgrade to the mid level or high end version of that model then they will cover only the 80% of the basic model price and I'd be paying the rest. Sorta confusing so let me try this.

Hypothetical:
*Basic model cost $1000

They cover $800 (because they only pay 80% of basic model costs) and I pay $1200 out of pocket to make up for the additional price of the better hearing aid.

Knowing all this I think my game plan is to buy one of the more expensive basic hearing aid models I can find. For instance:

If I get a $4000 basic model they will cover $3200 and I will have $800 out of pocket. I
m guessing a basic model costing $4000 is a far better hearing aid than a mid range model costing $2000. That my thought process anyways. Hope this helps @jakeman .
I’m thinking you will be much happier with the higher end that have way more features.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hypothetical:
*Basic model cost $1000

What did you wind up with?

I went to the OK hearing center in Norman that @DavidMcMillan recommended. I got a different girl than his, but she's okay. Seems interested in my hearing health.

Diagnosed with severe hearing loss. Profound hearing loss in my right ear. High frequency sounds were all but gone. Low frequency sounds had to be at a shout volume level for me to hear it. I got the top of the line Oticon rechargeable. "MiniRite R" I think is the model name. All the bells & whistles. Bluetooth. Remote listening. App controlled. Tinnitus reduction. Pretty handy.

You don't know what you don't know, and I didn't know how much I was missing hearing wise. They weren't cheap. $7500+ mounted balanced and out the door and down the road. Big hickey. I'll let ya know in a year or so if I think it was worth the price.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I had some good news for you but from my experience (2 years) they are not a magic fix. I even have an expensive pair that was gifted to me by bubbaokie. Restaurants and crowded rooms with multiple conversations will drive you crazy. The app has many adjustments and they do help but still are a problem when there are multiple conversations.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did you wind up with?

I went to the OK hearing center in Norman that @DavidMcMillan recommended. I got a different girl than his, but she's okay. Seems interested in my hearing health.

Diagnosed with severe hearing loss. Profound hearing loss in my right ear. High frequency sounds were all but gone. Low frequency sounds had to be at a shout volume level for me to hear it. I got the top of the line Oticon rechargeable. "MiniRite R" I think is the model name. All the bells & whistles. Bluetooth. Remote listening. App controlled. Tinnitus reduction. Pretty handy.

You don't know what you don't know, and I didn't know how much I was missing hearing wise. They weren't cheap. $7500+ mounted balanced and out the door and down the road. Big hickey. I'll let ya know in a year or so if I think it was worth the price.
Pretty much what I had until I got a cochlear ear.
I have had 4 pair over years - all octicons had warranty for 3 years- can send in for cleaning or refurbishing before 3 year up. Each time I did that that sent back brand new ones. For me they are top of the line.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Mom has the noise cancelling ones from Costco. They filter out background noise and her tinnitus went away. Said it’s the best $1700 she ever spent. The audiologists are great there. Very patient and want to get it right.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had some good news for you but from my experience (2 years) they are not a magic fix. I even have an expensive pair that was gifted to me by bubbaokie. Restaurants and crowded rooms with multiple conversations will drive you crazy. The app has many adjustments and they do help but still are a problem when there are multiple conversations.

My hearing is just the opposite --- I can hear a flea fart from across the room. With super hearing, you learn what/how to filter out the unwanted sounds. When the wife decides to not wear her hearing aids, it feels like I have to yell for her to understand. There's a very fine line between her understanding and her thinking I'm yelling at her........

Latest posts

Top Bottom