Help for a beginner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nando2k50

New to the site!
Reaction score
Help for a beginner

I am new to this forum and new to rifles in general, had a couple of handguns in the past but not recently.

After I moved to Oklahoma and enjoyed shooting rifles with friends and began to think about getting one. I have been doing some research, mainly internet, and nowadays I think will be more fun to assembly one, an AR-15; sadly I have no clue were to start (actually I am reading a book, the “AR-15 Guide Vol. 2” by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee).

Any ideas? Recommendations?

If you can point me in the right direction I will be most gratefull.

Thank you,

Bernardo

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Help for a beginner

I am new to this forum and new to rifles in general, had a couple of handguns in the past but not recently.

After I moved to Oklahoma and enjoyed shooting rifles with friends and began to think about getting one. I have been doing some research, mainly internet, and nowadays I think will be more fun to assembly one, an AR-15; sadly I have no clue were to start (actually I am reading a book, the “AR-15 Guide Vol. 2” by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee).

Thank you,

Bernardo

the guys at mas can helpyou..............

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to discourage someone, but if this is your first .... I'd advise not trying to 'build' one.
You wouldn't really save that much by doing so, and there are too many ways to get yourself into trouble. With limited knowledge, and without the proper tools .... not a good idea.
Maybe the next one.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Help for a beginner

Thank you,

Bernardo

The problem with asking for opinions on the AR is that you will get widely varing opinions and everyone thinks they are right. I would suggest that you buy the best parts that you can afford (Colt, Noveske, BCM, LMT, Sabre and a few others). Going cheap usually leads to functioning issues. AR15.com has a lot of info and a lot of opinions (some good, some bad). M4Carbine.net has really good info from folks who use AR's that their lives depend on. Good luck in your search and let us know if you have any specific questions.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do it. I am not very mechanically inclined but I did it. Go to brownells and look at their ar 15 videos. I used them and built mine in an hour or 2. Just go slow and make sure that you identify all of the parts and put them in the right place/right way. Perform all of the checks and it should be easy and its neat to have something that YOU built yourself.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find someone on here who knows what they're doing and see if you can't get some in-person super-vision (I borrowed an AR Vice block and met some good folks along the way when building my first one).

Figure out what your budget is up-front and what you intend to do with it - that will truly tell if your expectations are realistic or not. If you want this one to last for the rest of your life, then I wouldn't go the cheap route.

You can build an AR for about $600, but it won't be very reliable.

Get a good stripped lower and Lower Parts Kit - read as much as you can about how to assemble and get a friend who has done it many times before to hang out with you while you assemble it (you may have to buy him/her a beer or pizza).

Look into what sort of stock you want and get a quality buffer/tube/stock for it.

If its your first AR, I'd get a pre-built upper - several companies make good upper assemblies that are reasonable.

nando2k50

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thank you very much to everyone, really good feedback.

First thing first, I will figure out how much money is available and then make a decision. One thing for sure, I will like to have something good, a gun to be proud of.

In any case I know I will have more questions in the future. Again, thank you very much for your time.

Bernardo

Latest posts

Top Bottom