Help for a beginner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would assemble as much as possible yourself, and then have some help with the upper.

I put everything together on mine, with the exception of putting the barrel/gas tube on the upper reciever (had some great help from Martin and Matt at MAS).

I used the guide section on AR15.com. Tools for putting together a complete lower is pretty straight forward. I bought a nail set and ground down one side so it wouldnt rub as I tapped in the roll pins (nailset = $1-$3), and borrowed a AR wrench to put the stock on.

Put my first 100 rounds through it this saturday and I am completely astonished in how well it performs.

To me, building your first is always a good idea as long as you pay attention to details. The knowledge you gain about how your rifle works pays off.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a couple of places to check out. You can decide for yourself if you have the skills to do it yourself. I am of the opinion that if you can put together a model airplane and follow directions, then you probably will not have any problems. It seems to me that if you order a complete rifle kit from one manufacturer, it comes with everything except a stripped lower receiver, that everything is more likely to fit together the way it is supposed to. Lots of the guys on AR15.com like to mix and match pieces from 14 different companies and then wonder why their weapon doesn't function correctly. Some of them do and some of them don't. If you do put one together and it doesn't work right, then you can take it to mas gun works or marks firearms, I've heard good things about both of them and others on here that I can't remember right now.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

http://shanedaughtry.com/AR15Build.aspx

Latest posts

Top Bottom