Help with gun transfer out of state.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gifting my brother in Ashville,NC a handgun and am looking for input or recommendations on which FFL Dealer in the OKC area to use. I’ve never transferred a gun across state lines before and want to do so legally; especially since my brother’s wife works for the local sheriff’s office.

I’m curious about the total costs – preferably the least expensive and most dependable dealer to use. (And which not to use)

I’m sure there are multiple opinions as to which is best, but perhaps there is a general consensuses within this forum.

Thanks!

ParatusForty-Six

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can ship the firearm directly to your brother's FFL in his State of residence. You don't have to go through an FFL in OK. The carrier you use may have requirements, so check into those before shipping.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can ship the firearm directly to your brother's FFL in his State of residence. You don't have to go through an FFL in OK. The carrier you use may have requirements, so check into those before shipping.

Is there a form or paperwork that needs to be completed on my end that is included with the shipment? Paperwork the receiving FFL would require? Never done this before and want to do it correctly. Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Handgun or long gun? Long gun can go USPS directly from you to his ffl. If it’s a handgun, it must go ffl to ffl.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a form or paperwork that needs to be completed on my end that is included with the shipment? Paperwork the receiving FFL would require? Never done this before and want to do it correctly. Thanks!
As Paratus said, you don't need an FFL here, just at the receiving end.

Basically, your brother will find a dealer on his end to receive the handgun (he'll want to shop around, as not all dealers charge the same for transfers). That dealer will send you a copy of his FFL; it used to be that they'd send you an actual paper copy, but they might be able to send an electronic copy now (the dealer will know).

You then package up your handgun and take it and a copy of the receiving FFL (make sure the shipping address matches the address on the FFL) down to your local UPS store and ask them to ship it for you.

The people working the front desk occasionally know things that aren't so, so you may have to ask for a supervisor, but it shouldn't be hard to get it shipped.

Unless they've changed, UPS requires overnight shipping on handguns. Depending on where your brother is, that could be a pretty penny.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPS and FedEx will ship a handgun but you have to next day it which is expensive.
I didn't know FedEx would ship handguns; used to be that only UPS would. Boy, howdy, I can tell you that it costs a lot to ship FedEx overnight to some parts of NC (at least it did the last time I had to overnight something to NC).

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
As Paratus said, you don't need an FFL here, just at the receiving end.

Basically, your brother will find a dealer on his end to receive the handgun (he'll want to shop around, as not all dealers charge the same for transfers). That dealer will send you a copy of his FFL; it used to be that they'd send you an actual paper copy, but they might be able to send an electronic copy now (the dealer will know).

You then package up your handgun and take it and a copy of the receiving FFL (make sure the shipping address matches the address on the FFL) down to your local UPS store and ask them to ship it for you.

The people working the front desk occasionally know things that aren't so, so you may have to ask for a supervisor, but it shouldn't be hard to get it shipped.

Unless they've changed, UPS requires overnight shipping on handguns. Depending on where your brother is, that could be a pretty penny.

When did they change that?
You are correct, I just remembered that I have bought handguns from an individual that I picked up at my ffl. It’s been a while but soonerp226 is correct

Latest posts

Top Bottom