Help with gun transfer out of state.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
But, I know some FFL's who will not accept shipment from an individual ... only from another FFL. So, be sure your brother clears that with the receiving FFL on his end. I've run into that a couple of times.
Yes on this too. Dang, it’s been many years but I remember that being an issue too

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While shipping from an ffl is not required. Using a reputable ffl like Sooner State Pawn will asure that you don't run afoul of the law plus they would be familiar with packaging and labeling requirements as well as the best shipper to use. Also would avoid any issues with the receiving ffl. I would consider any fees they charge to be cheap insurance.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask the receiving Ffl what they want. At a minimum they want your name and address. Often they’ll ask for a copy of your dl

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use an FFL on both ends. Copy of drivers license, and a "bill of sale". Otherwise, he may have to pay tax on the value of the gun. Had to do that when my brother sent me my dad's 30-30.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use an FFL to ship they can use USPS - FFL fee+USPS shipping may be cheaper than overnight with the commercial carriers.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The post office won't ship unless it's from a licensed FFL. UPS and FedEx will ship a handgun but you have to next day it which is expensive.

Is that new? They've never asked for my FFL and half the time didn't know why I was giving them the USPS form or didn't know what the form was for. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While shipping from an ffl is not required. Using a reputable ffl like Sooner State Pawn will asure that you don't run afoul of the law plus they would be familiar with packaging and labeling requirements as well as the best shipper to use. Also would avoid any issues with the receiving ffl. I would consider any fees they charge to be cheap insurance.

I second using SSP to ship to his FFL. Last time I shipped a gun to another state, it was only like $20. Peace of mind; knowing it's done right.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shipped a shotgun to my father in Colorado Last Summer. I had to go to the USPS hub in Oklahoma City my local store said they wouldn't ship guns at all. I shipped directly to FFL. But called ahead of time to make sure that he knew the package was coming in. I didn't have to overnight it in fact I think it was three or four day ground. All went smooth . Also I insured my package for a few bucks

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use an FFL to ship they can use USPS - FFL fee+USPS shipping may be cheaper than overnight with the commercial carriers.
That's a good point; the stuff I was shipping was small, with a weight of under 2lbs, and it was over $100 for FedEx standard overnight.

The one possible issue is the apparent backlog at USPS. I was looking for tractor parts last night, and one of the sites said they currently wouldn't ship USPS because they had been seeing delays of up to four weeks in delivery. I expect that things will get back to normal eventually, but it might be worth it to pay FedEx or UPS if you're shipping now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom