Homemade scent killer recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Field and Spring Magazine July, 2006

How It's Done
Step 1: Shop
Assemble the ingredients:
2 cups (16 ounces) 3% hydrogen peroxide
2 cups (16 ounces) distilled water
1/4 cup baking soda
1 ounce unscented shampoo (available at drug or health-food stores)

Step 2: Mix
Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container, such as a milk jug. Let it sit for three days with the lid on loosely to allow gases to escape.

Step 3: Bottle
Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. It must be clean, so buy a new one from a hardware store or online.

Step 4: Wipe
To make scent-killing wipes, place plain brown multifold paper towels-"the kind that come in stacks, not on a roll-"in a small plastic tub with an airtight lid. Cover them with scent killer and let it soak in. Pour out excess liquid and replace the lid. Now you can wipe down boots, bows, and stands, and even use a towel or two to neutralize the sweat you produce shinnying up that perfect white oak.

P.S.- Do Not store the scent killer in clear jugs/containers! Hydrogen peroxide slowly breaks down to water when exposed to light, so store your home brew in a dark place such as a closet or in "Colored Jugs"!

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I usually buy in September to get mixed up well before deer season.
Walgreens Distilled Water $2.00 for 1 gal.
Walgreens Hydrogen Peroxide 3% Solution $1.50 for 32oz x 4= $6.00
Walgreens Baking Soda $1.25 for 16oz. Box
H.S. Scent-A-Way Shampoo and Body Wash $6.99 for 12oz.

Grand Total= $16.24 minus tax..... This will make 2 gallons of scent killer with some extra baking soda and shampoo left over.
Now compare that price to the store bought "Name Brands"!

It's cheap, but works just as good as the "Name Brands". Also, at that price you can afford to spray down absolutely everything that you use for hunting... including your hunting buddy that doesn't use any scent control at all!

hoginfested

Marksman
Reaction score

How It's Done
1/4 cup baking soda

I can attest this will kill scents. With the exception of distilled water instead of tap water this is the exact same recipe my vet gave me when my dog got sprayed by a skunk several years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

How It's Done
1/4 cup baking soda

I can attest this will kill scents. With the exception of distilled water instead of tap water this is the exact same recipe my vet gave me when my dog got sprayed by a skunk several years ago.

Same here. Used it for years to get the skunk scent off of dogs, or off the carpet in the house if they track some scent in. We use dawn dish soap instead of the shampoo, but the purpose is the same....Make the water wetter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom