Homeowner's Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who are y'all using?

We've been with State Farm for years and they've been fine. Paid out with zero hassle on car and house claims.

I recently requested a quote from them for a house we might be buying and my eyeballs popped out. Even with our multiple policy discounts they were about $600 a year more than an Allstate quote AND were offering less $$ coverage on the house, personal property and other structures.

Time to move out from under their umbrella I think.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same boat here. I've been with Liberty Mutual for several years now and it's probably time to shop. I'm hesitant with storm season bearing down on us, I have full replacement coverage and my roof is approaching 10 years old now. No claims at all on LM and it's more than doubled, almost tripled actually, from when I first bought the policy. Cars are up big too.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AAA here too. Beat the 5 other quotes by hundreds. Helps to have few or no past claims and good credit rating. I have never filed a claim since I bought the 1st house 40 yrs ago.

(ETA: we always go with $2000 or $2500 deductible whichever the company allows for the high limit.)

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you pay for what you get, I work in restoration. You either pay upfront and get it in the end or don't pay upfront and don't get it in the end.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Farm Bureau, maybe. We had them for years and they were the cheapest. However, we never had to file a claim, so I have no idea how responsive they are to damage claims. I say "had" because we now live in an RV full time and they don't insure those under those conditions, and we're not in Oklahoma any more.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AAA has or had the best rates in Oklahoma for 2015.

You're correct on AAA. You do have to bundle at least one car with at least liability to get a fire policy in a property through them.

But their low rates aside, those on the other half of the state are in for a rude surprise. Nearly every carrier doesn't want the business in central and western Oklahoma anymore. It's a loss nearly every way with the weather claims. Hail and wind and storms. Even at 2000 or 2500 or well over 3 grand in premium, companies are losing money on the whole paying out claims here. Rates are adjusting commensurate to the risk and expense. It's what we get for where we choose to live. Homes may be double or triple in California but their insurance is a quarter or less of what ours costs (earthquake notwithstanding).

Eastern Oklahoma has been subsidizing the state. Carriers are starting to adjust the other parts of the state to reflect the disparity and be more competitive in Eastern OK where they can turn a profit. At least on the dwellings and autos combined.

Latest posts

Top Bottom