How are you preparing for the day when you run out of meds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many of us in this preparedness mindset that aren't young any more. If you are on medications, what kind of steps are you taking if the day comes when access to those things are gone?

One of the most important aspects of prepping is your personal health. How can you take care of your loved ones if you keel over dead from a heart attack or stroke because you have ignored YOU. Now is the time to get off the carbs, start walking, take up the gym, preparedness starts with number 1.

I have met a lot of preppers, from what I see, this is one area very few are looking at.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's getting harder to get a large supply of necessary pills because of the insurance companies. Mine started this thing of only one month's supply in a month.
Luckily you can still get more from Canada but that might not last much longer. So now I have to order a 30 day supply every month in this country. But I'm
ahead a couple of month's, but hope to increase that with time. Luckily there's only one of them that I consider absolutely necessary but still nice to be able
to get all of them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is something I have been working on for quite a while. I refill GC's prescriptions every 4 weeks on the dot, instead of every month. It took me quite a while but I have enough insulin and metformin put back that he would be okay for quite a while. It may be naive of me, but, I think, since his diabetes is Type II, that if the SHTF and he started having to do more manual labor and eat less processed foods, that he might not need that insulin and metformin as much as he does now. Personally, I think a lot of folks, if they survived the initial shock of the change, would be a lot healthier in the long run if things went just a little sideways.

(Not that I am wishing for that to happen -- just saying that a lot of medical conditions like Type II diabetes, some heart conditions, some blood pressure conditions, etc. are a result of our current lifestyle. Changing that lifestyle would change the numbers of folks with those conditions ...)

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
medical conditions like Type II diabetes, some heart conditions, some blood pressure conditions, etc. are a result of our current lifestyle. Changing that lifestyle would change the numbers of folks with those conditions ...

There is a lot that can and needs to be done now, while people have time and resources available. You are correct BB, many of our medical problems in our society today are lifestyle, but to bring it more focused, it is the food we eat. I have been able to get off my BP meds with herbal and Essential Oil options.
I went on a low carb diet/ lifestyle change and dropped 55 pounds in less than a year. My wife has MS and a Thyroid condition both of which we use natural
methods, diet and exercise to manage. We are both in our late 50's and can out work most of not all 20 year olds I know. I have a couple that help us at our farm and I can say that for a fact.

I can go into details on where to get information on this kind of thing, but won't waste my time on those that are not serous. I've done too much of that already
with others. Your not truly prepping if you are carrying an extra 50+ pounds and have a cabinet full of pills with the mindset that you will change after TSHTF.
I won't be any good to my family if I am dead from a heart attack. Just my 2c.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your not truly prepping if you are carrying an extra 50+ pounds and have a cabinet full of pills with the mindset that you will change after TSHTF.
I won't be any good to my family if I am dead from a heart attack. Just my 2c.

I agree completely with this statement, but there are some things I cannot change. Someone else's mind for one. The only person I can work on is me.

I can, however, do my best to try and make sure that the medications those I love need will be available to them, at least for a time, if things get bad and they cannot go to Sam's Club and pick them up anymore. And, God willing, that will be enough ... If it's not, then I can sleep well knowing I did all I could.

You do what you can and leave the rest to God.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive managed to hord about 3 months supply of our meds. I lied and whined and begged but my stash is large enough that my wife can cycle thru ours normally now.

BB, that metformin was the cause of my most embarassing moment. But it worked to get my number down to a diet controlled number.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive managed to hord about 3 months supply of our meds. I lied and whined and begged but my stash is large enough that my wife can cycle thru ours normally now.

BB, that metformin was the cause of my most embarassing moment. But it worked to get my number down to a diet controlled number.

This sounds like a campfire story ... :P

redneckgearhead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, being brand new to prepping I've never considered this aspect of it. I've been a runner for few years now and no longer need Prozac to control my temper. But just recently (last 3 months) have I took my diet seriously. I have dropped 50+ lbs in that time frame, now to get the wife on board.

Latest posts

Top Bottom