How do I pay taxes? Let me count the ways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get this started. Please add the ones I've missed. I know over 50% of my income is paid in a tax of some sort but I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's over to 60%.

1. Federal Income Tax
2. Oklahoma Income Tax
3. Social Security (Yes, it's a tax and I get to pay double since I'm self employed)
4. Property Taxes (I get to pay this on property and equipment)
5. Sales Tax
6. Federal Unemployment Tax
7. Gasoline Tax (Does anyone know how much of every gallon goes to taxes?)
8. Telephone Tax (These seem to keep going up. What the heck are they for?)
9. Toll tax
10. Worker's Compensation Tax
11. Vehicle Sales Tax
12. Vehicle Registration Tax
13. Watercraft Registration Tax
14. ATV Registration Tax
15. RV Registration Tax

I'm just getting warmed up.....

When I look at my payroll which is close to 6 figures a month, I pay about 25% over everyone's base rate just to cover fringes. I would like to pay my employees more but simply can't afford to because of all the taxes I have to pay. If I give them a $1/hr raise it is going to cost me $1.25. Of course, when Obamacare kicks in this scenario will become exponentially worse and will potentially result in the failure of my business and most certainly impact what I can pay and how many I can hire.

Needless to say, it warms my heart that our President is going to fix everything by raising taxes. Oh, it may not affect me since I am not wealthy but why are we continuing to go down the more taxes instead of less spending road? Surely if we tax those big corporations that won't hurt anybody. Of course not, it will only the people that work for them or invest in them. Tax the super rich, they have money to burn. Seems like a good idea until they stop taking risk on new ventures because their risk/reward just got crushed.

We should not be talking about new taxes, tax increases or anything of that nature. The only thing that should be mentioned when it comes to paying taxes is cuts and lots of them. I'm not opposed to tax reform either but I don't see that happening. For those of you who love entitlements, if you work at all, you're paying double what those entitlements are worth. If you're not working at all, well you may not care.

I'm not bitching about my lifestyle or how poor I am. I have it pretty good. I don't mind paying for my share to the .gov either. I just hate the way it is taken and then wasted.

To me it is like sending your kid off to college and all they do is party and don't go to class. After a year or two of that, you'd probably cut them off. Then the .gov steps in and says your kid deserves that opportunity. Who can argue with a good education? We are going to take your money and cover tuition, room and board. After 3 or 4 years, your kid has a few baby mommas or is the baby momma to a few others and the .gov says we can't let those kids go hungry. We need you to pay for them too. Education and kids, how can you say no to that you heartless bastard? Oh by the way, your kid is 29 now and has squandered that last 10 years but they still need their education so we'd now like you to pay tuition, room and board for them and their illegitimate children. Someone has to watch those kids, so you need to pay for their childcare. You'll also need to pay for their education when the time comes and lets go ahead and throw in a new car for them because they deserve it. It ain't easy being a single parent with all these kids. Finally, you ask the boss for a raise to cover all these taxes to cover your hypothetical child and grandchildren. Your employer informs you that he can't give you a raise because the .gov has also been taking 20% of your pay from them to cover your hypothetical kids and grandkids.

Then the worst happens. Your employer who is no doubt a greedy money grubbing corporation informs you that they can no longer afford to employ you because they have to try and make a profit for their greedy money grubbing shareholders. The good news is, you can finally take a break from your job for two years while trying to find another greedy employer who can still afford to pay you and cover the expenses of your hypothetical children and grandchildren. It will seem like a pay cut at first but when you realize you're not paying sales tax at the grocery store due to food stamps and you're not paying many of the other taxes listed while on entitlements, you'll realize that your lifestyle and pay aren't much different than when you were a hard-working member of society. You may want to utilize all 99 weeks of that unemployment and hope for another 14 week extension. Don't just take the first job that comes along either. It may not pay much more than you're making at home and they might even ask you to work nights or weekends.

By the way, if you want to extend those programs further, all you need to do is vote Democrat. We've got your food stamps, we've got your 113 weeks of unemployment, we've got your retirement, we've got your health care. Don't worry about how much those things cost either. Our leader will either get it from the greedy rich or the middle class suckers who are still working or we'll borrow it from China. Don't worry about a thing. Sit back, relax, and remember, Capitalism is bad, Government is good.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya. Our accountant figured it up for us last year and figuring in all of our taxes put us at 56% tax rate. RIDICULOUS, and what makes me even more pissed is that politicians say I'm not paying enough??? I pay more than enough, and I'm not even close IMO of being considered "Rich".

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get this started. Please add the ones I've missed. I know over 50% of my income is paid in a tax of some sort but I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's over to 60%.

1. Federal Income Tax
2. Oklahoma Income Tax
3. Social Security (Yes, it's a tax and I get to pay double since I'm self employed)
4. Property Taxes (I get to pay this on property and equipment)
5. Sales Tax
6. Federal Unemployment Tax
7. Gasoline Tax (Does anyone know how much of every gallon goes to taxes?)
8. Telephone Tax (These seem to keep going up. What the heck are they for?)
9. Toll tax
10. Worker's Compensation Tax
11. Vehicle Sales Tax
12. Vehicle Registration Tax
13. Watercraft Registration Tax
14. ATV Registration Tax
15. RV Registration Tax

I'm just getting warmed up.....

When I look at my payroll which is close to 6 figures a month, I pay about 25% over everyone's base rate just to cover fringes. I would like to pay my employees more but simply can't afford to because of all the taxes I have to pay. If I give them a $1/hr raise it is going to cost me $1.25. Of course, when Obamacare kicks in this scenario will become exponentially worse and will potentially result in the failure of my business and most certainly impact what I can pay and how many I can hire.

Needless to say, it warms my heart that our President is going to fix everything by raising taxes. Oh, it may not affect me since I am not wealthy but why are we continuing to go down the more taxes instead of less spending road? Surely if we tax those big corporations that won't hurt anybody. Of course not, it will only the people that work for them or invest in them. Tax the super rich, they have money to burn. Seems like a good idea until they stop taking risk on new ventures because their risk/reward just got crushed.

We should not be talking about new taxes, tax increases or anything of that nature. The only thing that should be mentioned when it comes to paying taxes is cuts and lots of them. I'm not opposed to tax reform either but I don't see that happening. For those of you who love entitlements, if you work at all, you're paying double what those entitlements are worth. If you're not working at all, well you may not care.

I'm not bitching about my lifestyle or how poor I am. I have it pretty good. I don't mind paying for my share to the .gov either. I just hate the way it is taken and then wasted.

To me it is like sending your kid off to college and all they do is party and don't go to class. After a year or two of that, you'd probably cut them off. Then the .gov steps in and says your kid deserves that opportunity. Who can argue with a good education? We are going to take your money and cover tuition, room and board. After 3 or 4 years, your kid has a few baby mommas or is the baby momma to a few others and the .gov says we can't let those kids go hungry. We need you to pay for them too. Education and kids, how can you say no to that you heartless bastard? Oh by the way, your kid is 29 now and has squandered that last 10 years but they still need their education so we'd now like you to pay tuition, room and board for them and their illegitimate children. Someone has to watch those kids, so you need to pay for their childcare. You'll also need to pay for their education when the time comes and lets go ahead and throw in a new car for them because they deserve it. It ain't easy being a single parent with all these kids. Finally, you ask the boss for a raise to cover all these taxes to cover your hypothetical child and grandchildren. Your employer informs you that he can't give you a raise because the .gov has also been taking 20% of your pay from them to cover your hypothetical kids and grandkids.

Then the worst happens. Your employer who is no doubt a greedy money grubbing corporation informs you that they can no longer afford to employ you because they have to try and make a profit for their greedy money grubbing shareholders. The good news is, you can finally take a break from your job for two years while trying to find another greedy employer who can still afford to pay you and cover the expenses of your hypothetical children and grandchildren. It will seem like a pay cut at first but when you realize you're not paying sales tax at the grocery store due to food stamps and you're not paying many of the other taxes listed while on entitlements, you'll realize that your lifestyle and pay aren't much different than when you were a hard-working member of society. You may want to utilize all 99 weeks of that unemployment and hope for another 14 week extension. Don't just take the first job that comes along either. It may not pay much more than you're making at home and they might even ask you to work nights or weekends.

By the way, if you want to extend those programs further, all you need to do is vote Democrat. We've got your food stamps, we've got your 113 weeks of unemployment, we've got your retirement, we've got your health care. Don't worry about how much those things cost either. Our leader will either get it from the greedy rich or the middle class suckers who are still working or we'll borrow it from China. Don't worry about a thing. Sit back, relax, and remember, Capitalism is bad, Government is good.

Taxes on utilities, cable, capital gains etc.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obamacare is not a tax..............ok, maybe it is a tax..............No, its not a tax.........................Ok, It is a tax......................Just whatever they have to say to get it.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair Republicans haven't been any better than the dems about spending. They are more into the spending and borrowing than spending and taxing. In the end, it will still be spending and taxing to pay off the borrowing.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
During my lifetime the federal government has always spent more than they took in. If that is true wouldn't increasing income also increase the debt?

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom