How do I take better gun pics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For smaller items, create a budget light box. Decent sized cardboard box. Cut out the walls and replace them with white paper. Place paper roll from the back wall of the box to floor of the box. For extra pizzazz add glass on the floor of the light box. Hot lamps on the left, right, and top of the light box. (Work lights work good for this) When shooting with your camera. Try to step back and shoot a little farther than what you would normally do. 10-15ft away vs 1ft away from the item.

A budget fix for adding more capability with your Nikon is buying some lights. ex, I have a pair of Genesis 200 light kit, it comes with reflectors/umbrellas and it can be set off with the flash from any camera. Lighting and a basic program light Lightroom will make it look like a pro.

This is a great idea. the poor boy light boxes are great for handgun sized items. I totally forgot about those - and I have two of 'em! experiment with the light box. It's cheap and easy. soft lighting is the key. that's why you use the white paper or sheets. that acts a diffuser, giving you much softer shadows.

Lightroom is good software. There are several other free packages as well that are pretty good. Either way, you'll spend more time setting up and tweaking the photos that you will actually taking the photo itself.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aviator41's comment about using a camera with an external flash that can be "bounced off of the ceiling" is a good idea, however, be aware of one VERY IMPORTANT caution. If the ceiling (or any plane that the flash will be directed at) is not white, your bounced flash will be the color of the ceiling, or that other plane that is bounced from.

The first time I used a flash with the bounce capability did good for light except for color. I didn't know enough about bounce flash at the time and the ceiling was more yellow than white. So, all the photos I took at my sister's 50th anniversary bash ended up being "yellowish" in color. It still has a nice effect, but they weren't accurate to what was actually seen.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1002545_622015064484645_1630799764_n.jpg

Built one today 24"X24"X24" made from pine and cost roughly $50-$60 wood, misc materials, and lighting

1002477_622031111149707_120138081_n.jpg

1004485_622064344479717_696169459_n.jpg

998853_622101181142700_2007709589_n.jpg

999654_622101217809363_1963598640_n.jpg

Still playing with the iso, focal length, apputure, shutter speed, etc

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know that you will get differing thoughts on or opinions, so I'll start. To me, and this may simply be first impressions, they look too sterile or some reason. I haven't put my finger on to just why that is. Maybe I'm just hung up on having contrast. Also, on your last photos, did you mean for the knife to be the focus of attention and thus focused on it?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have to agree with Terry. they seem too . . . sanitized. . . subjects lack color and as a consequence character. black and white photos can be absolutely breathtaking when done properly so keep at it. The trick is getting the mid tones without 'halos' of white around all the sharp corners.

My first impression was that the contrast is way too high, and there's almost an HDR effect to the photos, or it was a color photo turned black and white in post production (never have been able to pull that off)

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs and the pointers I'm still trying to learn the whole ISO, shutter speed, and f-stop thing. I'm going to continue to mess around with the settings and editing until I can produce a better overall quality to my pictures. I may just be using the wrong lens for the task or the wrong settings in manual mode. Any pointers on what I should set my settings to while in manual mode?

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I go home tonight I will take pictures of what my LCD is showing while in manual mode and if any expects can break down what each thing is it would be greatly appreciated.

My camera will take multiple exposures in the EV setting -3.....-2.....-1.....0.....+1.....+2.....+3. I think it takes 3 or 5 shots in burst mode at each setting you select. Should I try taking a picture at -1.5 , 0, and +1.5 and then merging the images to get a better field of contrast or leave that alone???

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off to concentrate on a single photo to get to know the camera and what it can do. I'd be happy to help in any way possible! post up some pics and I am sure you will get lots of tips!

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off to concentrate on a single photo to get to know the camera and what it can do. I'd be happy to help in any way possible! post up some pics and I am sure you will get lots of tips!

thanks for all the help and the info it's much appreciated. Taking photos of my daughter on portrait mode is much easier than taking poverty stickman photos of guns.

After work tonight I plan on clearing out the memory card, taking multiple photos, and recording the settings for each photo. I will then host the images on flickr and will post the none edited ones here for everyone to critique and look over. I'm no professional by any means and i'm just looking to improve my hobby skills.

Once again thanks for all the help and info

Latest posts

Top Bottom