How is this M1 Garand stock worth this price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USGI wood is not getting any cheaper, especially wartime and pre-war examples. If the stock has been refinished well, the value isn't deminished much. Most WWII or earlier wood has gone through one or more arsenal refurbs, so finding untouched furniture is not an easy task. Some of the most expensive USGI stocks that you'll see sold have been repaired and/ or refinished by Rick Borecky.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simple

It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Apparently it isn't worth that, to you, but someone out there may eventually pay it.

I'm with you, no way I would pay that, being refinished and no historical provenance.
Yeah I know that phrase. Im asking from the educational standpoint and to gain perspective of collector minded people.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USGI wood is not getting any cheaper, especially wartime and pre-war examples. If the stock has been refinished well, the value isn't deminished much. Most WWII or earlier wood has gone through one or more arsenal refurbs, so finding untouched furniture is not an easy task. Some of the most expensive USGI stocks that you'll see sold have been repaired and/ or refinished by Rick Borecky.
Can confirm . I’ve bought 2 stocks from Rick, & both were expertly refinished with linseed oil (usgi)

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I like working guns with character, whether it’s finish wear, dings or carvings in the wood, rack numbers, etc.
Me too. I like all milsurps. I’ve got both old beat up rifles & near-unissued clean rifles. The value is based on rarity & condition & provenance. A beat up GHS stock is worth less than the same GHS stock in good condition. That’s the market. This whole thread is about the value of the stock

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frodawgg is a long-time seller of US milsurp parts, and he’s had some rare items up for auction in the past. I’m pretty sure he knows what he has here; if you do a search on eBay, you’ll find the item with more pics.
Ok I finally got a chance to see the other pics online. It’s definitely a GHS stock. Has the barrel channel & end ferrule stamps. No cartouche or P stamps are visible. Therefore, I believe it was sanded smooth & refinished. There is no way to tell it was a Lend Lease stock-no stamps or red band.
The Handguard set is worth prob $150 alone. The stock prob $200-250. The eBay price is wayyy high.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d take $300 for ALL of these. Jus’ sayin….

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    6.7 MB
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    5.3 MB
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    3.8 MB