How long do we let this go on...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand that ? What self protection is violated by letting him look in your trunk ? I understand that you don't have to let him, but why not ?

I've heard lawyers say that even if you think you've done nothing wrong, there are so many obscure old laws on the books that a cop who's looking to get you can probably find something to use against you.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand that ? What self protection is violated by letting him look in your trunk ? I understand that you don't have to let him, but why not ?

Because it's not his business and I have places to go and things to do. So I am not going to put myself out to satisfy his curiosity. Wouldn't allow them into my home or garage for the same reason. He has no right to demand it, so, whatever.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is it you don't want the officer to see? Why is it necessary to be obstinate? Is there something endearing about being the "tough guy"? Why make an issue out of something simple? Is what is said here actually what is said at the next traffic stop?

Who said anything about being a tough guy? How about complying with lawful portions of a traffic stop and simply exercising your right to not comply or not be forced to comply with anything outside of that?

Oh wait, let me guess, "if you don't have anything to hide you don't have anything to worry about" right?

How about private contractors without a valid Oklahoma law enforcement commission conducting traffic stops and questioning motorists as part of civil forfeiture "training" here in the state. We should just go along with that too because we "have nothing to hide"?

TK's point is, if you have probable cause or I was speeding, then do your job and let's all get on down the road but don't expect me to play your word games or answer 20 questions that have nothing to do with the infraction you originally pulled me over for.

If officer safety is the driving force, then minimizing contact and speeding up the interaction is in everyone's best interest. If you are fishing for probable cause that you don't already have, don't expect me to help you with building said probable cause.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it's not his business and I have places to go and things to do. So I am not going to put myself out to satisfy his curiosity. Wouldn't allow them into my home or garage for the same reason. He has no right to demand it, so, whatever.
Oh yea, I see now....

When the drug dog comes, and he may well come, and "alerts" on your car...be sure to tell him that you have other things to do and that you are not going to put yourself out to satisfy his curiosity.

I have been on lots of stops and I don't ever remember the officer asking to search someone's car just because he wanted to. And if he really wants to, believe me he's going to search it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yea, I see now....

When the drug dog comes, and he may well come, and "alerts" on your car...be sure to tell him that you have other things to do and that you are not going to put yourself out to satisfy his curiosity.

I have been on lots of stops and I don't ever remember the officer asking to search someone's car just because he wanted to. And if he really wants to, believe me he's going to search it.

The supreme court ruled, over 5 years ago, that police may not delay a motorist, who is pulled over for a simple traffic violation, to wait for a drug dog to arrive, without reasonable suspicion. Your refusal to consent to a search is NOT grounds for reasonable suspicion.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The supreme court ruled, over 5 years ago, that police may not delay a motorist, who is pulled over for a simple traffic violation, to wait for a drug dog to arrive, without reasonable suspicion. Your refusal to consent to a search is NOT grounds for reasonable suspicion.
Right....

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me if you'd cooperate with a cop that they'd treat you better-unless you had something to hide. Why be confrontational just so you can exert your rights? They have a job to do, let them do their job and you'll both be on your way. Right now the protest groups are confrontational and it creates bad attitudes and the cop always has the upper hand-usually except in Democrat cities.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to me if you'd cooperate with a cop that they'd treat you better-unless you had something to hide. Why be confrontational just so you can exert your rights? They have a job to do, let them do their job and you'll both be on your way. Right now the protest groups are confrontational and it creates bad attitudes and the cop always has the upper hand-usually except in Democrat cities.

Declining to give permission to execute a search in the absence of reasonable suspicion or probable cause isn't confrontational. Not on its face, it isn't, anyway. If you simply politely decline, what is confrontational about that? Nothing. Just be polite but know your rights, and don't offer up information not required, move along about your day.

If a cop gets butthurt, angry or confrontational due to refusal to allow access in the absence of PC, there's a bigger problem at play than my refusal to give up my rights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom