How long past the "best by date" is acceptable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title states but in two parts. How long past...

1. Is acceptable to serve guests?
2. Is acceptable for me to eat?

For bruams milk it is usually good up to at least one week after the date.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the title states but in two parts. How long past...

1. Is acceptable to serve guests?
2. Is acceptable for me to eat?

For bruams milk it is usually good up to at least one week after the date.

braums milk disappears at my house by day 3 after purchase. Never comes close to making it to the best by date…

Best by date is just a guideline. If milk doesn’t taste bad, have a chunky texture, or smell bad.. It’s still good.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the item. 1 day to a couple of years.
I don't know about the Braums milk but the milk I get at the shoppette on post is super homogenized and lasts weeks longer than regular Walmart milk.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the item. 1 day to a couple of years.
I don't know about the Braums milk but the milk I get at the shoppette on post is super homogenized and lasts weeks longer than regular Walmart milk.
This is my thought as well. Bruams milk is just one example. It depends on what it is and how far you live from a store to replace it. :)

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
We went over this in another thread not too long ago. Expirations dates are merely suggestions and best by dates are for store shelf rotation. Like @Bocephus123 said, smell it. It's what all our ancestors did before the Gov came up with expirations datres. I don't pay much heed to them.
Smell and taste test are usually the best indicators it seems. Out of all the guidelines, fresh juices and the like have a short shelf life so they need to be consumed fairly quickly after opening, which makes sense. I'd still do a smell/taste test on it.

I just watched a Mexican dude on the u tube that makes cheese out of his expired milk...pretty good idea.

WRT your guests, I guess it depends if you like them or not and do you think they'll sue you. lol

https://www.consumerreports.org/hea...ther-expired-food-is-safe-to-eat-a1083080425/https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/food-expiration-dates-guidelines-charthttps://www.webmd.com/diet/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

Maxwray111

Marksman
Reaction score
I used to do receiving at a grocery store. According to Hiland Dairy, the milk is good for 7 days after the date. Our store pulled them 5-7 days before because people stopped buying them.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
We get homogenized milk at sams and it's always sealed up good and has lasted a good week or more after the exp date. I popped one open last week that was 3 days past and finished yesterday and nothing had ever turned. That's a good 10 days post exp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom