How many years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my track record is this.

Drew a cow elk after 5 years of applying. I was the last group to be drawn in the "once every ten years" law. So I put in for elk for the first time since the draw, as it has now been 10 years

About 15 years for the antelope with no luck, but I only put in for buck tags as I won't blow a lifetime permit for a slickhead. Doe tags, as we all know, are MUCH easier to draw.

I have been drawn twice for Quail hunts when they held them. Once for Eufalla State Park (discontinued hunt, and I don't know why as that place was teaming with deer and a fun hunt) and once for Ft. Gibson either sex muzzleloader. Plus just got drawn for Little River NWR turkey

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew out on a speed goat tag last year. Didn't get to go though, because I got absolutely no feedback from the feelers I put out for a place to go. How can the ODW give out tags for a private land only hunt anyway? I had put in for about 4 years before I drew the tag. Figures....win something and can't even use it. I WILL use an elk tag if I ever draw one.....

Look I don't want to upset you, but this is your own damn fault!!! Its VERY COMMON that states have limited draw tags where private access is required, why should OK be any different?? Furthermore this has been printed on the Antelope application for as long as I can remember:

"These hunts occur on mostly private property. The Wildlife Department does not maintain a record of available private lands. It is the
responsibility of all successful applicants to contact landowners and obtain written permission prior to hunting on private
lands and the hunter must have this written permission in possession while hunting. Private land access fees may be
charged by the landowner."

Can you not read? You get drawn for this permit, you will have to know somebody or really do your homework. I dunno, I don't mean to be slamming you, but its frustrating when guys draw a tag that specifically states limited public access and then moan about no access as their reason for not going!!

BTW, sorry didn't mean to de-rail this thread.

A

Aserioushunter

In 26 years: no elk tag, no turkey tag. Just drew a antelope tag. Drawn 3 deer tags.
Haven't had luck on any of the special hunts.
Pushmataha-Saw butt of one deer, 2% kill that year (think half of those before/after light)
McAlester Deer Creek-Twice. Walked over half of Deer Creek. Saw big deer but no shot opportunities.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my first year and I got a antelope doe tag. I was not expecting it, just trying to build some points. I know most people only enter for bulls and bucks, but I will take what I can get. Get my experience close to home before heading out of state to get one.

Okie Hunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
30 years plus for Elk with no luck. I do better with out of state tages, drew a once in a lifetime Oryx in New Mexico in only 3 years of trying. Same with speed goats in Wy.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First year to put in for draw hunts. Drew an Antelope Doe tag. I know Antelope are once-in-a-lifetime hunt no matter the sex, but I figure if I can drive to a place I've never been, hunt public land, and even get near a shot, that is success to me. It's completely out of my element, and that's the point for me. Expand my hunting horizons.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats the deal with the draw hunts? I understand it for Elk and Antelope but why for deer, turkey, or quail? Are they out of season hunts or do you get the public land all to yourself?

Latest posts

Top Bottom