How much Ammo before you die?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than one knife? :D

Hey now... Let's not get nasty up in here! :D

In all seriousness though - we in the knife world already had our "Assault weapons" ban. It's why you can't carry so many knives that are "dangerous weapons" yet you can carry a fixed-blade (as long as it's not a "Bowie knife").

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The saps buying those $25 boxes of 20-rd Wolf steelcase are buying it to go to the range?

Of course. There's a TON of new shooters/gun enthusiasts. Before now, they never had a gun, therefore they had no reason to buy ammo. Now that they are into shooting, they have no option but to buy what's out there. How else can they practice?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider it an investment.

Prices of ammo are probably at an all time low when compared to the value of the dollar.
With worldwide demand of commodity metals doing nothing but increasing, ammo will continue to track upwards.
Throw in all of the political craziness suggesting limits, taxation, banning, etc.. and there is no better time to buy all that you can.

Our only hope for cheaper ammo over time is that the worldwide population explosion is somehow stopped, politicians will fall off the face of the earth, and/or we can start successfully & cheaply mine passing asteroids.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is another side also.

Probably not widely practiced and not widely spoken about, but...

some of us who foresaw this problem and stocked up, did so not just for personal reasons.

I knew that some of my friends were not in a position to add to their supply levels in times of plenty.
I figured that some of my stash would be used to keep some of my friends shooting and "prepared" during an ammo crisis/circus

I have been able to supply some folks with some of their needs, and I've done it at the prices that I paid, not at prevailing market prices. Now, I'd have to qualify that and say that I'm not letting someone have the .223 that I paid 129 bucks for 10 years ago at that price, but at the reasonable (not hyperinflated) replacement prices.

And, no, I'm not opening my ammo vault for any and all comers. And, no, I'm not going to let 1000 rounds of 9mm outflow just so someone else can add to their stockpile. But, if a friend of mine is in true need of something during this crisis, I'm going to do my best to help them out.

Dave

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not feel like it is hoarding as much as buying now at cheaper prices than down the road.\
CASE IN POINT: midway USA catalog #32 prices from 2009
.223 wolf ammo 75gr gold HPBT per 1000 was $474.99
NOW prices from 2012 catalog #35 1000 rounds $624.99
Powder has gone up about $2
Lead is up $4 for 10 lbs
Primers up from 1 -3 bucks per 1000
MUCH more people have guns now ..that is a given..supply and demand will raise the prices. inflation will raise the prices.
I reload.. I bet i have not purchased 6 boxes of ammo in the last 4 years...
One reason for that : the rem, fed. ammo i had purchased in the 1980's was more accurate than the stuff i got 4 years ago.

That is why i reload...and cheaper...I do not feel like i am hoarding.
I shoot an average of 1000 rounds a year.. I do not competition shoot...just building different hunting ammo and plinking with friends ...
Just getting it to beat the higher prices down the road.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm stock piling tens of thousands of rounds and I don't feel bad for those who didn't plan ahead. Everyone knew that Obama was going to get re-elected and everyone knew that he would make a play for gun control. Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency for me.

My sentiments exactly. I haven't really altered my shooting habits at all. Just spending more time at the bench cranking out ammo. Aside from a few projectiles I'm good with little to no change in my shooting for quite awhile. Would I like to have more ammo Absolutely and aside from 22lr I've got enough or enough components to keep my self stress free for the foreseeable future. My dad ranted about this exact scenario after the Clinton era bs and so he preached it long enough for me to take note and listen. And I'm glad I did. And I'm afraid we're all going to have to get used to the new normal. Whatever that's going to be. And as someone stated an odd ball caliber doesn't seem like such a bad idea everyone preached military calibers will always be available and now look what has happened. Practical and popular aren't the same thing. Now the rat bastards mass buying ammo mags etc and flipping them for a profit is what's really driving the insanity. But for now we live in a republic with an economic structure that allows for this type of activity. If you can't or won't pay inflated prices then don't and quit yer beychin and moaning and find another hobby I guess.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this type of thing is highly subjective, but it just irritates me that some people think they'll be around for enough gun battles they actually need thousands of rounds. I'd have to think your chances are much greater that someone shoots your ass dead before you swap even a single mag.

Agree? Disagree?

Disagree. Think of ammo as a "savings account","401K", or even "Social Security". These are novel concepts aren't they? Heck, I would even bet an extra 1,000 rounds of 5.56 that I have buried in one of many holes, that you are making a contribution to at least 1 of the 3 examples I listed! Why are you doing this? There's no guarantee that you'll live long enough to ever spend it.

Next time, be better prepared when there's a run on guns and ammo! Hint, it happens about every 6-8 years!

Latest posts

Top Bottom