How old is this buck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had a 10 point coming through only at night for a few weeks. I think I have a picture of the same deer in Feb with last year's rack (not sure though), which makes me think he's 3 1/2. What do you guys think?
WGI_0154.JPG
20160513_231024.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably 3.5, like you said. The only reason I'd say 4.5 is his neck melts into his chest, but he could have hit pre-rut, causing neck swell. Solid buck that has real potential in the next 2 years. Take him if he tickles your trigger finger though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Certainly 3 1/2. Not much mass on the rack yet. That comes with age and nutrition. Don't know about your area, and what your doing if any to supplement their food sources

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you can't tell from the picture.
We had some "trick" (real, actual) photographs from the Department wildlife biologists that showed three different bucks that appeared to be from 3 different year groups, ranging from 3 1/2 up to an impressive one generally guessed to be 5 1/2 to 6 1/2. They were all from the same year group. The only trick was in the selection of deer that looked very different.
Oklahoma suffers from a shortage of quality deer feed in many areas, in addition to genetic differences caused by too few bucks and too many does allowing inferior bucks to breed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom