How to deal with trespassers on property?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Best of luck, there is an infinite supply of Oklahoma residents who believe that all land is open for whatever use they see fit. They will tear down your signs, cut the locks on your gates, and go right through fences. You might get some support from your Sheriff's department but I wouldn't bet on it.

My family had to resort to hiring off duty deputies to keep people off a piece of land with some small ponds on it. It was actually cheaper to hire the deputies than it was to clean up all the junk people dumped out there.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spitballing here but how about putting up a GSM cellular trail cam or two? It may not help you in getting there while trespassers are there but if you can call the SO and have them send someone out, that's something. All the better if you can text or email them a picture of the people they're going to encounter. Just a thought.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spitballing here but how about putting up a GSM cellular trail cam or two? It may not help you in getting there while trespassers are there but if you can call the SO and have them send someone out, that's something. All the better if you can text or email them a picture of the people they're going to encounter. Just a thought.

If it escalates, that's the route my brother is wanting to go.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should just talk with the people first, right after you have a fresh set of posted signs, if they return file trespass on them, if they damage your property file for damages. Never give up and never do anything to harm them unless they act first, then call the law. I hate inconsiderate jerks and have spent days just hunting them down, if they have open access to there land and yours is only a shorter route you can fence them out and lock them out, let them file charges for the easement, then get the attorney involved. My family has a large piece of property that has some neighbors who think they should be allowed to roam about freely about since an oil lease road goes though their property to go onto ours (with a locked gate separating the two). their dogs chase deer and mysteriously disappear. We have people who drive down a easement road and park then cross fences to get on our land a vehicle may have had mysteriously combusted there once. Our cases are different because they are staying on our land longer. I would make sure the Sheriff was may friend, maybe make a campaign donation and get to know the Game Warden also. Nails and spikes suck cause people can dump them in front of your gate or on the lease road your property could also mysteriously burn so I would go o

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we had an issue with the previous owner of the land we bought. Cutting the locks and still going out there like it was his. Asked him if he was the one going out there he said nope not me.

I set trail cams up and I knew it was him as I had pictures. Saw him at a nearby convenience store asked him again If he was cutting my locks and going out there. He said no. I thought he has some balls to lie to me twice now. So I said well someone is cutting the locks and going out there. It needs to stop or I will take action. He kinda laughed at me. I thought of turning around and letting that arrogant POS learn his place. But I walked away.

I had in the mean time been talking to the sheriff dept. Needless to say I told that sheriff I have pictures to prove he is cutting my locks. Sheriff ran the plates on vehicle on trail cam photos. So he would know for sure and not be taking my word on who it was. I think it was more of a by the books thing there. anyways Sheriff dept had a talk with the guy and since then I have had no cut locks. I then being paranoid figured the pecker head would just hop the fence. I keep cameras scattered around the property and I have not caught a trespasser since.
Of course Our land is Landlocked and we have a 1/4mile easement to get to our gates. so parking on any other road it leaves you with a pretty long walk to get to our land.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of these guys are armed, whether it's a shotgun, rifle, pistol or even a bow, you can file a "criminal trespass" charge against them IF your property is properly posted against trespassing...

"Signs are required at all entrances and all corners and at 200 yard intervals along property lines" - Oklahoma law!

Not required to post anymore. The state law changed a few years ago.
I farm and ranch over 5500 acres and don't put up a single sign anymore. I just call the sheriff, and sign the complaint. Automatic go to jail if I push it. Many times just stepping out of the vehicle armed is enough to get their attention. Call the law, you will have trouble for awhile, but the word will soon get around that you're not playing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If any of these guys are armed, whether it's a shotgun, rifle, pistol or even a bow, you can file a "criminal trespass" charge against them IF your property is properly posted against trespassing...

"Signs are required at all entrances and all corners and at 200 yard intervals along property lines" - Oklahoma law!

What law are you quoting? read Title 21 sections 1835, 1835.2, & 1835.5. oscn.net legal research OK statutes citationized

Latest posts

Top Bottom