Humbled, disgusted, and ashamed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn thanks for sharing. Just one more confirmation for me that when I buy my reloading setup I am going to get ALL the extras for safety and functionality, i.e., primer flipper, automatic bullet feeder and especially the powder check and alarm. Thanks!

I think it's prudent to start learning to reload on a single stage press or single step process. It's easy to produce a lot of poor quality ammo on a multistage press that cranks out a loaded round with each pull of the handle.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a titewad load. (Not Titegroup, titeWAD) - this powder is not documented for 38 special loads as it was super-fast. I started at an overly light charge and worked up very slowly to get a charge that worked well in the 38sp case with a 125gr RNFP. I had great success with consistent speeds, 1.5" groups at 15 yards and no leading whatsoever. It was the perfect load until this mishap and this problem was not with the powder, it was with the monkey pullin' the lever.

I have since moved from that powder to Trail Boss for my cowboy loads and have been pleased as punch. It will cost more in the end financially, but the peace of mind is worth it. I have 10lb of it too, so I'm good for a while. My daughter calls it "Cheerio powder" It's super easy to identify, meters very well and fills the case nicely.

I left the very fast powder for the 12ga and am getting great results reproducing the reduced recoil/low noise Winchester AA target shells, and for 1/10 the price!

Glad you did this. Very small charges are an invitation to double, and even triple charging, but 2 grains in a .38 case could result in that rare but real phenomenon called "detonation." I suspect you have considered that, but if not, take a look at the subject in about any reloading manual. You hear about it more in rifle cartridges, but I suspect it can happen in handguns as well. Here's one reference: http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm

As I understand the theory, and it hasn't been duplicated in lab conditions, the primer flash ignites the entire charge simultaneously, causing a large pressure spike. I have been tempted to try loads below published minimums, but have decided not to do it.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at my first CAS shoot today. I had a great time. My best shooting friend and I have been working on reduced loads for months now. We had a hard time getting powders to use. We both managed to get some teail boss. One thing I like about trail boss is how light it is. The low density of trail boss will help prevent a double charge. Even the loads we are using has most of the volume below the bullet filled up. I will use Trail Boss as long as I can get it.

The cost isn't that much higher.

Aviator, i bought a case of the featherlight Win AA shotshells. I am getting my old Pacific 366 set up for 12 guage again and I am wondering if you would share your load recipe for the light loads.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nightshade, I'm using brass from just about every manufacturer and my charges are right around 2 grains. I can have as much as 15 grains weight difference in brass alone. Using your method works well in rifle cases, but with the tiny charge I'm using I can't rely on weight.

TLD, you're right. I gotta come up with something as these results are way way beyond acceptable.

I think I'm going to move to a powder lockout die and just prime/size as a separate operation. So far that's the best plan.

There is most likely a Dillon in my future.

Hornady LNL AP has an extra hole. One more than the Dillon.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone who reloads at any real level can give you a real hard time. I haven't done that, but I have made other bone head mistakes. It's all part of it. Glad it didn't cause a serious malfunction. Those are the only mistakes I worry about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom