Humbled, disgusted, and ashamed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That pretty much describes me after our match this weekend.

On the last stage, my daughter had to open a new box of reloads. Got up there to shoot and 'pfft' - squib.

the generous group we were with allowed her to try again after clearing the squib and getting a green light to re-stage and start over. 'pfft' - ANOTHER squib.

At this point, another shooter lent her their rifle and allowed her to finish the stage. I dealt with the final squib and wrote a big "F" on the box to indicate questionable rounds. I 'lot number' each box, so if problems arise, I know what order boxes of ammo were loaded in. Luckily, this was the last box reloaded that day and all the rest had been shot already.

I pulled 98 bullets. (entire box minus the two squibs) - of the 98, 92 of them had no powder.

92, folks.

Upon checking the press, I discovered the powder hopper was in the "off" position - just how it was left after this box was loaded.

They say confession is good for the soul, so you guys be gentle. It's my first MAJOR malfunction during reloading.

First squibs EVER.

Before you mention a powder check station, or a lockout die -there's no room on this press. It's a 5 stage Lee Loadmaster - 1st stage deprimes and sizes, second stage primes, third drops powder, fourth seats bullet, fifth roll crimps and sizes fat rounds to spec. I wish I had a 6th position. I'd use an RCBS lockout die or Hornady powder cop die

Lesson hard learned for sure.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Learning experience, nobody hurt...........you probably won't do it again. Better than box full of overcharged ammo.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That really sucks. . . I do have a question and possible solution that may come from it. All things being equal, same round, same case manufacturer, same primer, same powder would it not be possible to weigh a round on a scale and be able to see a difference in weight for over or under charge to an extent?

It would be really simple to do even with multiple rounds at once. Slowly load five or ten rounds and ENSURE they are all properly loaded and then weigh them all at the same time. Then just weigh in groups of ten and if the weight is fairly close you should be good then. If the weight is over or under then you know to check them each individually and verify.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the post I commend you for manning up, and thank you for sharing to help newbies like me...!!
I was a little couragious or plain stupid for loading 630 9mm my very first time behind the press without testing them prior... Although they worked out fine I have since adjusted the grain for further testing.
I charge a case measured and keep it under the charging station for reference, I know your seasoned but id somehow rig something to where you can see you have a charge..

Take care,
Rob

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nightshade, I'm using brass from just about every manufacturer and my charges are right around 2 grains. I can have as much as 15 grains weight difference in brass alone. Using your method works well in rifle cases, but with the tiny charge I'm using I can't rely on weight.

TLD, you're right. I gotta come up with something as these results are way way beyond acceptable.

I think I'm going to move to a powder lockout die and just prime/size as a separate operation. So far that's the best plan.

There is most likely a Dillon in my future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom