Humbled, disgusted, and ashamed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn thanks for sharing. Just one more confirmation for me that when I buy my reloading setup I am going to get ALL the extras for safety and functionality, i.e., primer flipper, automatic bullet feeder and especially the powder check and alarm. Thanks!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad you guys are seeing the positive side and not just running me into the ground. I did not post this on other forums for that reason.

I posted so everyone could learn. Everyone can have issues. My complacency and just "pulling the lever" got me here. Not paying attention in this sport - probably more than most sports - will get you really hurt.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone that has reloaded much has had some kind of issue at some point. When you have a problem, it's kind of like landing an airplane, any you can walk away from with everything where it is supposed to be is successful. Like you said, don't get complacent and pay attention all the time.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally use slower powder that fills the case enough I can see it on my 9mm loads. Sure it costs more using a slower powder but visually seeing the powder helps me not get a squib and I look in each case before it gets to the bullet seating station. If only your pride got hurt that's good, everyone has made a mistake. It's what you do next that is the difference.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This was a titewad load. (Not Titegroup, titeWAD) - this powder is not documented for 38 special loads as it was super-fast. I started at an overly light charge and worked up very slowly to get a charge that worked well in the 38sp case with a 125gr RNFP. I had great success with consistent speeds, 1.5" groups at 15 yards and no leading whatsoever. It was the perfect load until this mishap and this problem was not with the powder, it was with the monkey pullin' the lever.

I have since moved from that powder to Trail Boss for my cowboy loads and have been pleased as punch. It will cost more in the end financially, but the peace of mind is worth it. I have 10lb of it too, so I'm good for a while. My daughter calls it "Cheerio powder" It's super easy to identify, meters very well and fills the case nicely.

I left the very fast powder for the 12ga and am getting great results reproducing the reduced recoil/low noise Winchester AA target shells, and for 1/10 the price!

Latest posts

Top Bottom