Humbled, disgusted, and ashamed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Using a Lee pro auto-disk. the hopper rotates, closing the hole at the bottom allowing you remove the hopper without spilling powder everywhere or needing to remove the entire die. so, turn hopper off, remove hopper, change disk, put hopper back on turn hopper back on.

You're right - it will not happen again.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nightshade, I'm using brass from just about every manufacturer and my charges are right around 2 grains. I can have as much as 15 grains weight difference in brass alone. Using your method works well in rifle cases, but with the tiny charge I'm using I can't rely on weight.

TLD, you're right. I gotta come up with something as these results are way way beyond acceptable.

I think I'm going to move to a powder lockout die and just prime/size as a separate operation. So far that's the best plan.

There is most likely a Dillon in my future.
Lol a Dillon 650 would be nice, Ive only run a lee pro 1000 and love it its only 3 hole but works for what Im doing and with a light on my seating die I can view the charge, you can pick up a small light and place it over your seating area.. not familiar with your press but im sure you can lean over somehow to view the charge before placing a bullet. I ditched my auto disks and got the micro meter for 10$ it is a money saver as I can now dial in my loads where I want and save powder by not "rounding up" my loads..

I would try a cheap light for a night and day difference :)before flipping some coin for a dillon..

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got a free micrometer charge bar when I got the upgrade kit, but I can't get it to throw consistent charges at these tiny capacities, so I still use the disks. I've had good results until now. Charge bar works great for 223 and 45acp

Going to try a few things this evening to improve the process.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the auto disks are great and throw consistently but I could only throw 5.6, with the micro bar I can get 5.3 everytime... I did read that it doesn't throw small loads well and obviously powder texture makes a big play in this as well..

Just make sure you have the hopper on and you're charges will improve greatly :)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed. I would imagine I could get a pretty small charge with something like HP38 or BLC-(2) - one of those tiny grained powders. It seems to do well with extruded powders too. I've had no problems charging H4895. I use big extruded powders in large cases, but they're all individually loaded on a 4 hole turret that is manually indexed, and powder is thrown off press using a scale.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've had similar issues after getting into the 'mode' and churning out a few hundred rounds not realizing the hopper had run dry. i have since started tapping or thumping the hopper on light cowboy style loads. makes me look at the hopper and tends to get a more consistent charge. the fingernail on my thunpin finger get a little tender after a few hundred though!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what i like about the Lee pro 1000 and the powder through dies with the automatic powder dispenser.

The Lee 1000 has a hardened rod that rubs up against one of the legs on the press this leg has notches in it.
creates a vibration each time it hits a notch and this settles the powder each time and helps the primer feeder ramp stay full.

dlbleak Maybe hang a flat steel washer wrapped in tape from a string on the hopper and tap that into the powder hopper with your meaty side of your finger

mach1soldier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got scared at a match thinking about squibs. If you go to do a double tap and the first is a squib, chances are you aren't going to notice before you pull the trigger a second time. Kaboom.

I have gotten to the point where I look in every single round before a seat a bullet on my Hornady lnl AP. It is slightly slower, but I feel confident in my loads.

Glad no one got hurt and no guns went kaboom.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A squib can be just as dangerous as an overcharge. If the bullet progresses far enough into the barrel to allow the gun to come to battery, there will be a major malfunction.

I've had one squib in my 1911 while in a competition. The RO and I noticed it at the same time. It would not come into battery, so I got lucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom