Humming Bird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We canNOT seem to attract any hummingbirds, but ...

View attachment 118246 View attachment 118247

This guy has visited several times this afternoon! Who is this confused feathered friend?

Try putting your feeder up higher, perhaps on a tree limb. If there are any cats around your neighborhood, I'd think that they would avoid a low hanging feeder. Also, I was once informed that it was best to have a feeder of any kind (and bird baths) in a location where the birds could "take flight" in almost any direction.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try putting your feeder up higher, perhaps on a tree limb. If there are any cats around your neighborhood, I'd think that they would avoid a low hanging feeder. Also, I was once informed that it was best to have a feeder of any kind (and bird baths) in a location where the birds could "take flight" in almost any direction.

Agree. Move the feeder to the eve of the house right outside a window. It’s too low.
Change the “nectar” every couple of days and really clean the feeder. We have gone to all wide mouth feeders so a brush can be used inside.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had my two feeders out for a month; watching diligently in the mornings before work and evenings after work. We saw the first hummer yesterday evening. We just don’t seem to get much hummingbird activity in the backyard of this Edmond suburb house. Hopefully, the activity will pickup. Cardinals, Blue Jays, Thrashers, House Finches, Doves, Brown-headed cowbirds, Juncos, Sparrows, Rabbits, Squirrels and the occasional Woodpecker at the feeder is a different story. The backyard sometimes looks like a zoo.
Your yard seems to attract the same birds as mine. I start running a hummingbird feeder real early in hopes of getting and keeping the first ones around

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had one hummer about two or three weeks ago, on a rainy Saturday, on that very feeder. Then, none, until after I posted the pic of the 'mystery' guest. We have two feeders in our front flower beds about eight or ten feet apart. The wife said we had a hummingbird on one of those feeders and our special guest on the other feeder at the same time. I've already moved the feeders once this year. I had them up higher (about 6 to 8 feet) and protected under kind of an entryway in our front yard, and hanging from the eaves at about the same height out back. No birds. Maybe I just didn't give them enough time, although they hung there for probably at least two to three weeks.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had one hummer about two or three weeks ago, on a rainy Saturday, on that very feeder. Then, none, until after I posted the pic of the 'mystery' guest. We have two feeders in our front flower beds about eight or ten feet apart. The wife said we had a hummingbird on one of those feeders and our special guest on the other feeder at the same time. I've already moved the feeders once this year. I had them up higher (about 6 to 8 feet) and protected under kind of an entryway in our front yard, and hanging from the eaves at about the same height out back. No birds. Maybe I just didn't give them enough time, although they hung there for probably at least two to three weeks.
Probably migrating and stopped in for a meal. When they nest near by, you'll see em more regular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom