Hunting with a glock 20

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He posts a lot because he has a vast wealth of knowledge and experience and is kind enough to share it with a community of like minded individuals.

What the .223 is referred to as is irrelevant, what it does is. His argument presents evidence of effective use of the round and I see absolutely nothing to warrant tearing him down for it.
Thank you sir.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I shot my rifle buck with my patrol rifle. Noveske AR15 w/ 16" bbl, 1/7 twist on a 75gr BTHP at 225 yards. It only made it about 40 yards before it dropped dead. I have pictures of the deer and the view from the ground blind. I only kill animals with guns I use regularly, so I do not have a use for a "deer" rifle.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really didn't mean to offend any of the service men on here (including Dennis) - if it came out offensive - I sincerely apologize.

I never "doubted" effectiveness of 223, just like I don't doubt that well placed 22LR will get the job done fantastically.

All I said: that 223 is not an end-all and there are objectively better options for deer hunting - especially for an inexperienced hunter. And as I said before, 7.62NATO is still in service for a reason.

P.S. I took my first deer literally by saddling it and cutting it's throat with a skinning knife after double lunging it with 44cal ball and cap revolver ... it took an hour to chase it down : as I said - if that works - pretty much anything will.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"Combat operations the past few months have again highlighted terminal performance deficiencies with 5.56x45mm 62 gr. M855 FMJ. These problems have primarily been manifested as inadequate incapacitation of enemy forces despite their being hit multiple times by M855 bullets. These failures appear to be associated with the bullets exiting the body of the enemy soldier without yawing or fragmenting. This failure to yaw and fragment can be caused by reduced impact velocities as when fired from short barrel weapons or when the range increases. It can also occur when the bullets pass through only minimal tissue, such as a limb or the chest of a thin, malnourished individual, as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to yaw and fragment. In addition, bullets of the SS109/M855 type are manufactured by many countries in numerous production plants. Although all SS109/M855 types must be 62 gr. FMJ bullets constructed with a steel penetrator in the nose, the composition, thickness, and relative weights of the jackets, penetrators, and cores are quite variable, as are the types and position of the cannelures. Because of the significant differences in construction between bullets within the SS109/M855 category, terminal performance is quite variable—with differences noted in yaw, fragmentation, and penetration depths. Luke Haag’s papers in the AFTE Journal (33(1):11-28, Winter 2001) describe this problem."
Dr. Roberts

What your quote here implies is a problem with the M855 round itself, not the calibre per se. Give our boys V-max bullets and watch the show! ( I know, Genava Convention and all that) And if someone went deer hunting with a FMJ M855 then yes indeed I would think them somewhat ignorant, ignorant of available bullets, bullet construction in general and what would consititute a good hunting bullet. You can build a POS bullet in any calibre and then make the statements in that quote, be it for killing humans or animals. If you use the wrong projectile, you going to get bad results.

Now most X.xx calibre vs Y.yy mm arguments are like arguing about weather the long or short hairs on a gnats ass are prettier. It's what one person prefers to use vs what another prefers. And where is the official naming of a round book that definatly classifies a round as a "plinker" or "varmit" or "medium sized game" and on and on?

With all that said, if a person does not put in the hard work to become proficient with any weapon of choice, it won't matter if they go out with a Howitzer. They ain't gonna kill nothing but time and worst of all, possible wound an animal and their pride.

Latest posts

Top Bottom