Hypothetically speaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the proper thing for the officer to do?

• Release the men

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Detain the men

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Detain the men and run serial number checks on their weapons

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP wasn't hard to understand. When we explained our answer, which you indeed asked for us to do, you changed the story and added details that DID make it hard to understand.

No actually I asked people to explain why they would react the way they did as per the poll and people went into rants about felony stops and all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with the original question. Even when I added more details there was still nothing that should have changed the meaning of the OP or poll. This was a very simple question that has been turned into total BS. People actually read into it that I was upset with the officers when it was never even implied and they also talked about the way the officer should have responded to the call and initial contact. How is that even remotely connected to the OP?

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, this is by far the most tense thread I have seen here on OSA. Let's lighten it up in here. I'll start:

What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls?

You walk him and pitch to the rhino!

Thank you! I'm here all week! Try the veal! Be sure to tip your waitress.

And to the OP: No, I don't think LEOs should run the numbers of every gun on every armed civilian they encounter. Perhaps to clarify the post should have looked like this:

Should police run the numbers of every gun on every armed civilian they encounter?

Yes

No

Wouldn't that have cleared this all up?

Reaction score
This is pretty much as simple as it gets, and you've certainly asked the right question, RH (thank you -nothing 'shallow' about it, as alleged by wufee).

The answer is clearly, obviously, release them. Because there's no "reasonable suspicion" to detain and to do what is in essence a "search" by running the numbers. Certainly there's no PC to suspect the guns stolen, but not even any reasonable suspicion.

The implication of your thread, that this was a waste of LE resources, not warranted, and improper, is absolutely correct.

But if you AGREED to it, then that's a horse of an entirely different color - did he ask you something to the effect of "I'm going to run these numbers - is that ok?" ? If he asked you that, and you said yes, then you agreed to it. If you did not, then it's clearly improper; there's simply no reason (reasonable suspicion) to believe that these guns were stolen - absent some fact like a scratched off serial number or something to that end.

Traxxis, you said you wouldn't blame others if they do. I submit that "you should".

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read two pages of this and there is still not enough information for me. The police responded to a potential break in with the owner and two neighbors outside armed? What are they doing outside? Was the house ransacked and now the intruder is gone? Are their any witnesses? Is the intruder still in the house? Where are the guns? ARe they secured? If so in what type of safe? A Homack cheapy or a $2000 safe? Too many variables and unknowns to properly answer for my comfort.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read two pages of this and there is still not enough information for me. The police responded to a potential break in with the owner and two neighbors outside armed? What are they doing outside? Was the house ransacked and now the intruder is gone? Are their any witnesses? Is the intruder still in the house? Where are the guns? ARe they secured? If so in what type of safe? A Homack cheapy or a $2000 safe? Too many variables and unknowns to properly answer for my comfort.

Were the 2 long guns loaded?
Were the 2 w/ long guns on their own property, better yet, still inside their houses?
Was it hunting season?
Was this in an area where you can legally hunt?
What is the price per pound of saltpeter?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, if the cop had just shot them all DRT when he rolled up and then sorted it all out there would be no "waste of limited resources" ... just saying ...

Dang department policy and laws and morality and other such nonsense ... tis quite a bother ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom