Hypothetically speaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the proper thing for the officer to do?

• Release the men

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Detain the men

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Detain the men and run serial number checks on their weapons

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BS. Do you know how much quality hollow point ammo costs these days? Running a Mozambique drill on 3 guys would cost the department like $10.

WHAT?!!! OHP doesn't buy GC's ammo for him ... blah ... I gotta buy the danged stuff!! (Oh, well, actually ... he MAKES the money around here ... but I am the Minister of Finance ... )

ETA: BUT ... if they used shootings in place of their quarterly qualifications ... man oh man the money they could save ...

Not to mention that paperwork! I know I gotta fill out at least 12 forms anytime I kilt a man.

That's what the rest of that 8 hour shift is for! haha!

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is pretty much as simple as it gets, and you've certainly asked the right question, RH (thank you -nothing 'shallow' about it, as alleged by wufee).

The answer is clearly, obviously, release them. Because there's no "reasonable suspicion" to detain and to do what is in essence a "search" by running the numbers. Certainly there's no PC to suspect the guns stolen, but not even any reasonable suspicion.

The implication of your thread, that this was a waste of LE resources, not warranted, and improper, is absolutely correct.

But if you AGREED to it, then that's a horse of an entirely different color - did he ask you something to the effect of "I'm going to run these numbers - is that ok?" ? If he asked you that, and you said yes, then you agreed to it. If you did not, then it's clearly improper; there's simply no reason (reasonable suspicion) to believe that these guns were stolen - absent some fact like a scratched off serial number or something to that end.

Traxxis, you said you wouldn't blame others if they do. I submit that "you should".

Actually no one was even given a choice about them running the numbers. Thank you for giving an intelligent on topic answer

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read two pages of this and there is still not enough information for me. The police responded to a potential break in with the owner and two neighbors outside armed? What are they doing outside? Was the house ransacked and now the intruder is gone? Are their any witnesses? Is the intruder still in the house? Where are the guns? ARe they secured? If so in what type of safe? A Homack cheapy or a $2000 safe? Too many variables and unknowns to properly answer for my comfort.

Why would any of that dictate if the cop ran the numbers or not at the end of the deal?

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, if the cop had just shot them all DRT when he rolled up and then sorted it all out there would be no "waste of limited resources" ... just saying ...

Dang department policy and laws and morality and other such nonsense ... tis quite a bother ...

Thats the right response, I was starting to get used to the few who posted something intelligent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom