I am buying a Springfield 87A .22lr rifle from a guy at work and wonder if these....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are any good. It was made in 1938 and seems it good condition. It was his fathers and he has maintain it and barely shot it says 300 or so rounds. Looks good in the pics, seeing it tomorrow in the flesh...Wants a $100 for it. Whatdaya think?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the gun?

4.bp.blogspot.com__XCkTSf0swcQ_SNUvBB44vTI_AAAAAAAADDM_QZRaLQxaIKw_s320_SAVAGE87A76462.jpg

i287.photobucket.com_albums_ll146_farcass31_P1010011.jpg

If so, my dad has one. They are an nice little rifle. The neat deal with them, is you can lock the bolt *forward*, for use with shorts or longs. I think it would also make a great suppressor host because it's a semiauto that you can keep from cycling if you want to get as quiet as possible.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'd have to check, but you probably have to knock the old sight out. It's most likely a press fit dovetail sight. If you don't have the equipment to do that (vise, small mallet), I'm sure someone on here could help you.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking instead of replacing the old sight why not get a scope or some other type of sight? Do you know of any that would fit this gun? Also, they guy I am buying it from said there was a cleaning kit that went with it but couldn't find it. I have never cleaned a gun with what looks like blued parts.
I use hoppes and clr on my semi auto and revolver but that might be a little harsh for this piece. I use the bore gell for the barrel. Any advice would be appreciated.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Hoppes and CLP should be just fine on that gun. I don't use CLP, but I do use Hoppes on all my guns.

As for the scope, unless your gun has already been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, you'd be better off just replacing the front sight.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 87 series is an interesting rifle. Savage tried for YEARS to make it function with S, L and LR, but could never get it to work right. That's why there's 87 through 87 T series shown on the Numrich site. With anything but LR, it's a single shot. Also, the slots on the sides of the action are from back when .22 ammo was wax lubed. The slots are there to allow the wax to be blown free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom