I am buying a Springfield 87A .22lr rifle from a guy at work and wonder if these....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 87 series is an interesting rifle. Savage tried for YEARS to make it function with S, L and LR, but could never get it to work right. That's why there's 87 through 87 T series shown on the Numrich site. With anything but LR, it's a single shot. Also, the slots on the sides of the action are from back when .22 ammo was wax lubed. The slots are there to allow the wax to be blown free. Also, it doesn't operate quite like other semi-autos. When you fire it, the bolt moves back and stays there until you release the trigger, and that's by design. Has to do with giving things enough time to allow the next round to move up into place to be picked up by the bolt.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Also, it doesn't operate quite like other semi-autos. When you fire it, the bolt moves back and stays there until you release the trigger, and that's by design. Has to do with giving things enough time to allow the next round to move up into place to be picked up by the bolt.

Did not know this! I'll have to check that out.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is quite true. It was pretty common for the rear sear quit working, which would cause a double fire and a jam. The trigger group is secured to the bottom of the receiver with screws, with skirts, which are staked in place. Unless absolutely necessary, don't loosen them. Without staking, the trigger group will shoot loose in real short order, and malfunctions will occur., (voice of experience) The screws, if necessary, can sometimes be put in different holes and restaked.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that was my first rifle. Given to me by family friend after it survived a house fire. Bluing gone and I sanded the black off the stock. It has fired thousands of problem free rounds and very accurate. I've been thinking of restoring it and giving it to a nephew. Love that rifle.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you replace the sight remember this.
all sights are in a tapered dovetail and come off left to right and go on right to left.
do it backwards and you ruin the taper and will always move unless staked.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
left to right from behind the gun like you were holding to shoot it.

Those rifles came drilled and tapped with little screws filling the holes, they are on the left side instead of the top, it takes a special side attaching mounting rail (but the scope is on top) You can often find the rails on ebay, just keep looking.

unless you know what you are doing, don't take it apart, there are some small hidden parts that will fly out when you do and even if you have the reassembly tool it is a pita.

I have worked on several of these guns.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses...I am taking it to the range tomorrow to see if it will go bang, hasn't been fired in over 20 years according to the owner...Thought I would run a swap down the bore to see what comes out but can't seem to get the bolt to stay open...Has far as removing the old sight and the info on going left to right when removing, what kind of tool would I need to do this? Should I take it to a gunsmith? I also got some ammo that is somewhat old, says .22lr on it but no grain info..I think I have figured out how to load it. ....

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull the bolt back (toward you) then push it in to the left. There is a second hole in the receiver to lock the bolt open. I have one of these that was my Dads I haven't stripped it for many years. Honeybee is right, it can be a pain to put it back together correctly.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has far as removing the old sight and the info on going left to right when removing, what kind of tool would I need to do this?
It takes a hammer and a piece of brass rod long enough so you don't smack either the rifle or your hand.
Should I take it to a gunsmith?
If you aren't comfortable driving a sight out with a hammer and a brass drift, then yes.
I also got some ammo that is somewhat old, says .22lr on it but no grain info..I think I have figured out how to load it. ....
If the bullet is solid, it should be 40gr. A hollow point will be a couple grains lighter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom