I can't recommend Snake Creek to anyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me be clear about this thread and why I am saying this. They're not bad folks and two years ago when I first purchased my home on this side of the state they were close and convenient to get to . To be very fair if you are into trap or skeet then they are probably the premier shot gun range in the state end of story, however their membership which is not cheap ended up not being worth it . That annual fee doesn't buy you anything other than a reduced lane fee or a reduced fee to the traps and a $10 FFL transfer fee. Its not a gun club and they don't operate like a gun club. To make matters worse, they made some changes which weren't really improvements to be honest.

On the rifle range which is small to begin with, taking up all the target stands at 200 yards and the range only being 200yards to start with was a bad mistake. Replacing those stands with a massive plate rack wasn't a value add. Sure you can hear bullet hit the plate but I found the target stands much more useful as I shoot groups at 200 yards as did many others who I shot with. On the safety front ,they will take anyone's money to rent a lane and honestly I am not in favor of range Nazi's but there's a total lack of safety there, in my two years as a paying member, I witnessed on more than one occasion folks would just get up and bobble down range to check targets without making the range safe. No never mind the spray and pray crowd who shows up to blast a magazine and not even put up a target before they do so then leave. This isn't about EBR's either as I own some too. This is about poor safety practices and no RSO to be had anywhere .

Concerning handguns , a 15 yard pistol range isn't really worth the money either. I am sorry its just the way it is . Don't get me wrong Snake Creek is handy especially if you live on the south side of Tulsa or Glenpool or nearby Beggs but that's its only value add.

The state owned range near Okmulgee lake has better facilities a nice trap course for your shotgun yes you need your own trap but that's OK, if you're into trap and skeet and you don't own your own trap then you probably shouldn't be into trap and skeet. The pistol range goes all the way to 50 yards and the rifle range is a full 200 yards, the only down side is it can be busy at times but the cost is a hunting license and that goes to supporting wild life conservation in the state.

So there you have it , your mileage can and will vary and if you like Snake Creek that is great . I gave them two years of my membership dues though and didn't get enough back in return to justify the cost, shame too as they were super convenient to get to and the owners are really nice folks.

Last edited:

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I went out to Snake Creek on a Saturday to zero a rifle and decided I would never go to a public range again. At the line there were only 4 people shooting, but no chairs available. Why? Because a group of women were sitting on the line, eating fast food on one of the concrete shooting platforms and they had commandeered all the other chairs. None of the women were wearing hearing protection, but they were covering their ears with their free hands in between handfuls of food. I decided I wasn’t going to shoot that day so I went back to the clubhouse and they gave me a refund, so no problem there.

Reaction score
Grew up hunting this property when it was all intact. The house down the road (the next right) was a couple from Glenpool wanting to get out of the city and thought they found their dream property. They did a ton of work, spent a ton of money clearing land and built their dream house. They were happy for many years until the gun range was built and now they are losing their minds and trying to sell the property. Crappy story kind of. Not to mention they ruined a great deer hunting spot. Could tell a lot of stories of that property.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grew up hunting this property when it was all intact. The house down the road (the next right) was a couple from Glenpool wanting to get out of the city and thought they found their dream property. They did a ton of work, spent a ton of money clearing land and built their dream house. They were happy for many years until the gun range was built and now they are losing their minds and trying to sell the property. Crappy story kind of. Not to mention they ruined a great deer hunting spot. Could tell a lot of stories of that property.
It's interesting to hear some of this. I had considered giving them a look since I live 8 miles from there. It's 37 to the clubhouse at Red Castle, but even if I joined something closer I wouldn't give that up. Now it looks like I'll probably just pass.

Too much property in this area is being bought up by people moving out of town. My brother in law lives a few miles east of Snake Creek and over the years has been surrounded by people buying up land and moving from town. The they ***** about how people shoot guns out there. Duh! We do that out in the country. We shoot some on our property and all our neighbors shoot from time to time. People who can't handle that should stay in somebody's city limits.

Reaction score
We all shoot off the porch over here, Snake Creek kind of ruined things over there though. Lot of folks move from the city this way in the last ten years then they ***** about the way folks have lived out here forever.
I’m surrounded by family so we just keep our mouth shut until Festivus and the airing of the grievances.

JamesB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been a member at SC for 3 years and will not be renewing this year.. I have moved out to Recon by fire .. they are not much on the pistol side but if you are into rifle shooting this is the place. They are also improving the shotgun area (which I don’t shoot)

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I've been a member since their inaugural year and they've grandfathered the annual fee. I can nitpick things like the concrete benches and the folding chairs too low for the bench height. I solved that by bringing a moving blanket and a pneumatic roller seat. You need to be carefull when setting up the wooden target posts as they are filled with staples and can wound the palm of your hand easily. I guess they set up the steel plates so 200 yard shooters wouldn't have to walk 200 yards to set up a paper target.
This year they added fans to the rifle and gun buildings to make it more comfortable. Since these buildings face East, on a summer day you don't want to get there before 1100 hours
Snake Creek really caters to the shotgun crowd however, it's really convenient for those of us in South Tulsa County. It's a lot nicer than Happy Hollow and a lot closer than Red Castle or Oil Capital.

JamesB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll still go there to shoot now and then .. there are a lot of ranges that cater to different types of shooting you just have to choose what fits you the best. I’ve just gotten into long range shooting so Recon fits me better for now also it is run very well. Safety is very important but not over bearing like I’ve heard other places are.. no matter where you are you should clean up after yourself and be careful with your surroundings and the people around you. Stay safe out there and happy shooting 🤙

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been a member there since it opened 3 yr ago, I can vouch for just about everything said in this thread by all that have posted. I use it now just to test, work up my rifle loads and shoot some occasional clays as this is what SC caters to. I too have taken most of my rifle shooting to Recon out east. Don’t think I will be renewing at SC either, I can do it all at Recon and in a MUCH safer environment and better set up range for all disciplines and improving all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom