I didn't expect them all to live....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have ended up with aprox 32-35 tomato plants.... I may cull a couple of stragglers. Brandywines, crimson pinks and some other kind that grow tomatoes that are literally the size of peas and taste like candy.

I had to scrap my original plants that I started before my light set up they were just too leggy and couldn't support themselves. I noticed on this batch that started under the lights have nice hairy stems and are not laying over etc.

I planted about 180 onion sets and I wasn't expecting all of them to live either... turns out i'm going to have a good crop of onions.

I think my rosemary died this winter :-( Im sad about that it was a huge plant. I think I am going to have to expand my garden, my husband is just going to have to deal with it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try an experiment. Take one tomato plant and when it starts to bud, pinch off the buds for a month or two. I think you will end up with tons of tomatoes from that one plant.

Last year with the crazy weather my plants did not produce any fruit for months but the plants kept growing. Two plants grew to cover an 11 foot by 14 foot area. Once they did start producing they went nuts and we got hundreds off just those two plants. They produced until the freeze killed the plants.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try an experiment. Take one tomato plant and when it starts to bud, pinch off the buds for a month or two. I think you will end up with tons of tomatoes from that one plant.

Last year with the crazy weather my plants did not produce any fruit for months but the plants kept growing. Two plants grew to cover an 11 foot by 14 foot area. Once they did start producing they went nuts and we got hundreds off just those two plants. They produced until the freeze killed the plants.

I almost always pinch off first flowers if I think the plant needs more growing time, It does work to help the plant not give all its energy to producing fruit. I hardly got any tomatoes last year off my plants so I am going be extremely disappointed this year if I don't get a good crop. I hope I have to can Tomatoes every single day LOL

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also experiment with different fertilizers too. See which produces bigger, better and more.

I have plenty of chicken and goat poop if you need any!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those plants that got tall and spindly are still good. I actually prefer them. Dig a trench, bury everything except the top cluster of leaves. That stalk will put out roots along its entire length.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those plants that got tall and spindly are still good. I actually prefer them. Dig a trench, bury everything except the top cluster of leaves. That stalk will put out roots along its entire length.

to late for that... they never even got to the point of putting on true leaves and couldn't hold themselves up. I did read an article somewhere where a guy planted his tomatoes sideways, I may try that with a few and see how it goes. My biggest issue at this point is space... I only have about 32 sqare feet left to plant in right now, and my tomatoes are still upstairs under the lights! IDK where the heck im going to plant cucumbers and stuff.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We lost our large Rosemary Plant as well this winter. I even kept it watered. Just too many harsh days for it. It has lived now for over 6 years keeping the Thyme warm, the Thyme lived this year as it has for a couple years, I guess the Rosemary just got to Cold or maybe even to old to make it another year!

On them Tomato plants, we have had luck weaving them in and out a section of hog panel and letting them grow sideways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom