I done a bad, bad thing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I've gone and ruined a perfectly good AK barrel...

I've been building an AK in the spirit of the BFH caveman approach, and I've got the barrel (new US) all populated, except for the Front Sight. I got it part way on, and realized it wasn't going any further, and in trying to get it back off for more filing, I've goobered up the muzzle threads. Looks like the first two threads got bent.

Although I'm so close to having it done, I feel like I'd be better off giving up and paying someone to finish it for me, if the barrel can be salvaged. Any smiths in OKC that could help me?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You better not give up! I have been following your AK building questions and such since you started. They have provided interest in me building my own. If you give up now, I may never start. So finish the build and post the pictures, for the children!

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You better not give up! I have been following your AK building questions and such since you started. They have provided interest in me building my own. If you give up now, I may never start. So finish the build and post the pictures, for the children!

lol, you're right. I had a moment of exasperation and weakness when I realized what an idiotic thing I did. I think I'm actually going to take a needle file and file down the first two threads. Thanks for the inspiration!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, I'd never even heard of such a thing. Know of any local sources? it's a 14x1mm left hand thread, don't know if that matters or not.

Try sears. They usally carry a set of thread files.

Either them or you could order some from fastenal.

If you don't have any luck. I think I have a metric thread file at home. I can ship it to you to use. I will check tonight.

The one I have is like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBiZ0qvwVw

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And don't give up. I screw stuff up a good 4 or 5 times before i give up.

I have been following your threads also. I had been doing a little research on a build myself. I just haven't gotten serious about it yet. Can't wait to see yours finished.

Latest posts

Top Bottom