I got a fever.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't remember the last time I saw .30-30 ammo on the shelf at the Yukon Walmart. I know it was a couple of years ago, because I bought a couple boxes.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I absolutely love my 30-30!!! Something I cannot stand is a scoped 30-30 levergun! It's unnatural man!!! I know, I know there are those with poor eye-sight and that's the only exception I can make because you just have to do it. I recently had some questions regarding ammo selection for for whitetail and then read reviews with regards to Hornady's LE ammo... That stuff has given new life to the 30-30. Just read the reviews over on Cabela's site for that ammo... Hunters are killing Whitetail at 200 yards plus. Some are outshooting their buddies 30-06.

The beauty of the 30-30 is the utility-ness of it. The ultimate brush-gun. Short-barrel, packs enough of a punch for anything in North America, has some decent reach with the new ammo and has a glorious history. After I got mine, I did tons of research on the history of these guns to say they were ahead of their time would be an understatement. Today they still are very reliable and useful despite all the other modern rifles out there. To top it all off, they're just dead sexy.

I can tell you that you will fall in love with it and it is certainly a fever... I really want a 45/70 now and am hoping to get one soon. You can never have enough leverguns. :D

Here's mine.
afarm4.static.flickr.com_3172_3020269491_c950b0f3da.jpg

Check this one out... This is a refinished 1930 336RC.
ai676.photobucket.com_albums_vv127_mikeystew1_newgun013_1.jpg

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you really can't go wrong with one. I have seen many on auctionarms.com from sellers like caf sales, or superpawn, that might need some cleaning and surface rust cleaning, but they go cheap cause they are lever guns and because of the maintenance needed. Good solid piece to any collection. Might not be the coolest mag fed techno weapon, but hits hard, works and the duke, clint and the boys used them so its got to be cool for us older cats.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saved and bought my first lever gun (Winchester 94) at age 12. i thinkn it was in the neighborhood of $120 NIB. Took it with me everywhere, hunting, plinking, coyotes and the occasional wager of...(I bet you can hit that).

Had to leave it with a family member when I shipped back to Korea in 1987 and it was stolen while I was gone. I still miss it to this day :-(

Thanks for the memories and the tears :crying:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all are making me want to invest in some leather for my Winchester....totally agreed on the fun factor of 30-30. Just something about it.:respect:

I have leather butt cuffs on both my Winchester and my 1878 coach, but no slings.

Here's what the Trapper carbine wears...

Galco Gunleather.

[Broken External Image]

Here's the cuff my twice barrel scattergun wears.

[Broken External Image]

It's a custom piece by a guy named Andy Langlois. He runs a one man shop www.shottist.com. My cuff is identical to this one, with one minor difference. The middle shell loop is flattened with an "X" stitched over it to hold it down. Thataway, I can grab two shells at once without my fingers hitting anything fore or aft of the two shells I'm drawing for a quicker reload. With the 1878 Coach gun, I figured 5 shells on a cuff was kinda silly. So, I asked Andy to modify his cuff a little. The result is an awesome looking cuff that is not only extremely functional, but a gorgeous upgrade to the scattergun as well. The color is called "walnut" for good reason. It matches the walnut stock of the Cimarron 1878 coach gun perfectly. :thumb:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, the 30-30 round and the 7.62x39 round have near-identical ballistics. If so, the 30-30 round would have a considerable amount of drop out past 250 yards or so - right?

Just wondering how accurate a 30-30 lever action would be for dinging iron targets at 300-500 yards. I'm thinking I should stick with my M1 Garand for this purpose ;)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, the 30-30 round and the 7.62x39 round have near-identical ballistics. If so, the 30-30 round would have a considerable amount of drop out past 250 yards or so - right?

Just wondering how accurate a 30-30 lever action would be for dinging iron targets at 300-500 yards. I'm thinking I should stick with my M1 Garand for this purpose ;)

300-500 yards?! :ooh2:

Hell, I can't even see that far! :rolleyes2

Yeah, basically the 30-30 is about a 100 yard gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom