I Have Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...those to be seen after you view the video.

Question 1: after going through an RV, where was the "bump" in one's own vehicle after it hit the trailer frame?

Question 2: after going through an RV, why isn't there a massive broken windshield in front of you?

Question 3: was there any "defensive" reaction by the driver prior to hitting the RV?

Question 4: What is the brand of trailer so others can avoid buying one?

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like most of the trailer was just slammed over to the side..... Ran into the dual tires which is probably about the best place for hitting it but glad I was not in the pickup pulling the trailer.
Driver was only going 55, I think the roads were icy and hitting the brakes had zero effect.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my biggest fear when pulling my camper (the losing control of the camper part). I've only done it a few times now, so I don't have years of experience towing it. I know the majority of people make it through their whole life without ever having an accident while towing, but I still have the fear. It's not enough of one to keep me from taking it places. However, I would NEVER, unless absolutely, positively necessary, take it anywhere when it's icy. I'm not willing to press my luck that far.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my biggest fear when pulling my camper (the losing control of the camper part). I've only done it a few times now, so I don't have years of experience towing it. I know the majority of people make it through their whole life without ever having an accident while towing, but I still have the fear. It's not enough of one to keep me from taking it places. However, I would NEVER, unless absolutely, positively necessary, take it anywhere when it's icy. I'm not willing to press my luck that far.

Many of us in the RV world won't even try to move our RV's during inclement weather. I remember the story from years ago of a couple going down a hill with wet roads and a traffic light at the bottom at the intersection that had just turned red. Had he been on flat and dry roads, he possibly could have been OK. He ended up that anyway because all the people on the side roads of the intersection saw him coming and declined to start through the intersection. He cleared the intersection safely and slowed down even more on the wet roads.

Not long after that, he bought a larger truck that could better handle the weight of his whole rig. Something like that is why I went with an F450 to tow our fifth wheel.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That brings to mind the one and only time I was ever really afraid. Was towing a car with my F250 from So Cal to Bellingham, Washington and stopped to overnight in Portland. That night a snow storm hit the area so in the morning I unhitched the car and drove the surface streets to make sure all was well. They’d been plowed so I figured I was good to go. Got everything hooked back up, hopped on I5 to discover it hadn’t been touched. Bastards!!! 😡😡😡😡 I was so screwed…..if I accelerated the trailer jackknifed to the right, if I so much as touched the brakes it jackknifed left and if I tried moving the steering wheel all hell broke loose. Also every off-ramp was well sloped downward and I knew if I took one I’d end up flying through the intersection. Thank you Jesus, after 20 minutes of holding on for dear life waiting for the impending doom to strike I saw a little opening on the right shoulder that wasn’t too bad and was able to get it pulled over. After an hour or so they had things cleared on the freeway and I was good to go. Ugh, that was 30 years ago and thinking about it still gives me the willies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It appeared to be icy to me as well which bode well on the vehicle hitting the camper as it allowed the camper to slide out of the way.
A lot of people that tow aren't familiar with how to tow in slick conditions. I drove a semi for Bekins Van lines for a time. There is a manual trailer brake lever that can be used to keep the trailer behind you vs beside you by feathering it in icy or hydroplane conditions. I had to use it once when icy and letting off the pedal to coast. The trailer kept coming around the tractor, so lightly feathered it while also lightly accelerating which pulled it out of the slide. Then used the trailer brake only to move to the side of the road and sit.
Every trailer brake control has the same option in tow vehicles although I don't think most folks know what it's for or how to set the bias in the controller, nor recognize the bias may have to be changed with brake wear.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pull a 5th wheel camper. 3/4 ton Ram and a 32ft camper. My camper has a dry weight of 10k. I have been all over the U.S. with it. I was headed through Wyoming over a pass. It wasn’t snowing anymore. Started down hill on slick roads. That was a butt pucker moment. Had to keep tapping the trailer brakes to keep the trailer straight. I will set out high winds. Seen to many camper blown over due to winds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom