I proved OC a non-issue tonight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fought the Black Friday pre-sale crowd at my local Walmart super store tonight at 8 PM. Walmart had the SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16GB cards for 9-something and the regular SDHC 16 GB cards for 7-something that I wanted to get several of. Anyway, I open carried my LCP in a leather OWB thumb break holster. It was a packed store... elbow to elbow-- a pick pocket's dream of heaven... and I had not one single close call of someone brushing up against my weapon, tugging at it or commenting on it. Men, women, boys & girls of all ages and backgrounds... and not one single issue or negative comment. If you can open carry in a extremely crowded Black Friday style sale at Walmart without any issues..or having any complaints to the management or the police... then you shoud be able to OC darn near anywhere without a problem!

I had a nice visit with one of the local detectives working the crowd in uniform. He said they had not had one single issue / complaint involving OC since the new law went into effect.... and that was the way his dept. had thought it would be all along. He said he knew of only one business in our city that had posted a gun buster sign. So if you haven't tried OC yet... try it, you will like it. I've OC'd every day since the law passed and I've not had a single negative response.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your experience was exactly the same as mine. I OCd while shopping at Belle Isle Walmart in OKC, and not a damn was given by anyone that I could tell. Nobody ever got close to my OCd pistol. Total non-issue.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's good to hear.
I was somewhat concerned before Nov. 1 and thought there might be a tranisition period until everyone got familiar and used to OC.
I'm pleaseantly surprised it hasn't been the issue I was thinking it might be.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw my first OC'er at Walmart last night. Appeared to be a SW4096 or whatever those older police trade in S&W's are traveling in a Serpa holster.

I too was concerned that if there were ever an incident to make news regarding OC Black Friday may be it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I was gonna have an issue yesterday. After Thanksgiving lunch with the kids out on the land they asked me to drop off a Redbox video at the EZ Mart. I had my 1911 OC. As I was standing at the machine a OKHP whipped into the EZMart parking lot. "Hmnn," thinks I, "He's gonna check me out." But he didn't, he just went on into the store. Oddly enough I had to go back about 10:00 and his car was still there. I reckon he met up with another HP and went with him.

Anyway, the HP was a former student, so I doubt he would have even asked me about my gun.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't think open carry will be an issue, the "proof" here is hardly definitive.

By this same logic, if someone survived a fall from an airplane without a parachute, they just "proved" that parachutes are a non-issue when falling out of airplanes.

I am glad that you had no problems with your carry method, but the logic does not pass the smell test.

Michael Brown

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't think open carry will be an issue, the "proof" here is hardly definitive.

By this same logic, if someone survived a fall from an airplane without a parachute, they just "proved" that parachutes are a non-issue when falling out of airplanes.

I am glad that you had no problems with your carry method, but the logic does not pass the smell test.

Michael Brown

That is a terrible analogy, however it was quite amusing.

I think the OP has proved to himself that OC in WM is a non-issue.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a terrible analogy, however it was quite amusing.

I think the OP has proved to himself that OC in WM is a non-issue.

It is not an analogy.

It is a line of logic that the OP used.

As I said, I am glad he and some others are happy with their chosen carry method.

However if something goes wrong next time or ten years from now, does it "prove" that open carry is unsafe?

Michael Brown

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Michael Brown

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it does serve as 'proof'. If a average law abiding citzen like me has already open carried every day for several weeks without any issues and then OC'd in a large crowded store with well over a thousand people who were elbow to elbow, who were of all ages, male & female, and who were of many diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds..... without any issues or complaints... then a average law abiding citizen.... like most of the people on this forum.... should [reasonably] be expected to be able to open carry darn near anywhere else without issues.

And I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only person open carrying at the big sales around the state last night without issues. Don't forget there were sales at numerous other big box stores like Target & Kmart too. We haven't heard of mass hysteria being created because someone not wearing a uniform & badge was open carrying a handgun in a holster at one of the crowded stores. Okiebryan has already written that he OC'd at one of the sales without any issues as well. Surely we weren't the only ones OC'ing last night!!!!!

On the other hand, a example about someone surviving the jump from a plane without a parachute as somehow being equivalent in thinking or reasoning isn't reasonable.. IMHO.

We are writing about reasonable law abiding citizens OC'ing... not criminals or the mentally unstable. We will always have the occasional criminal or nut-job who will grab a headline for using a weapon inapproperately.. but ordinary citizens with a handgun permit should experience zero issues while OC'ing.. so those people who have been reluctant to try OC until they see how it is accepted by the population as a whole should go ahead and try it. It is a non-issue and a whole lot more comfortable than CC.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...but did you have your handcuffs too? I bet the cuffs scared everyone and kept 'em civil because they knew they'd have to suffer the consequences if you pulled them out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom