I proved OC a non-issue tonight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it does serve as 'proof'. If a average law abiding citzen like me has already open carried every day for several weeks without any issues and then OC'd in a large crowded store with well over a thousand people who were elbow to elbow, who were of all ages, male & female, and who were of many diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds..... without any issues or complaints... then a average law abiding citizen.... like most of the people on this forum.... should [reasonably] be expected to be able to open carry darn near anywhere else without issues.

And I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only person open carrying at the big sales around the state last night without issues. Don't forget there were sales at numerous other big box stores like Target & Kmart too. We haven't heard of mass hysteria being created because someone not wearing a uniform & badge was open carrying a handgun in a holster at one of the crowded stores. Okiebryan has already written that he OC'd at one of the sales without any issues as well. Surely we weren't the only ones OC'ing last night!!!!!

On the other hand, a example about someone surviving the jump from a plane without a parachute as somehow being equivalent in thinking or reasoning isn't reasonable.. IMHO.

We are writing about reasonable law abiding citizens OC'ing... not criminals or the mentally unstable. We will always have the occasional criminal or nut-job who will grab a headline for using a weapon inapproperately.. but ordinary citizens with a handgun permit should experience zero issues while OC'ing.. so those people who have been reluctant to try OC until they see how it is accepted by the population as a whole should go ahead and try it. It is a non-issue and a whole lot more comfortable than CC.

Why carry a handgun at all if you expect zero issues?

I carry a handgun specifically for very unusual situations where I have to protect myself or my family.

I conceal it for the very unusual situation where someone might take pre-emptively or mid-fight.

The point still stands:

Your going to Wal-Mart and not experiencing any issues as proof that open carry is just fine is still a flawed conclusion.

I too believe open carry problems are few and far between.

However a whole bunch of people text and drive without any consequences as well. It does not mean it's a good idea.

All that said, you are the only one who will be responsible for your actions so everyone should do as they see fit UNTIL it harms someone else.

Personally I try to limit those opportunities but you do not have to.

Michael Brown

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I carry a handgun specifically for very unusual situations where I have to protect myself or my family.

I conceal it for the very unusual situation where someone might take pre-emptively or mid-fight.

Michael Brown

Like I wrote earlier, we will just have to agree to disagree. 43 states have some form of open carry... and your concerns about 'the targeting of OC'ers' have not been proven to have occured.

I choose to live life prepared, but not paranoid about a bunch of hypothetical 'what ifs' that have never played out in this or any other state. To me, your argument against OC isn't any different than the 'blood in the streets' and the 'OK Corral style gun fights' we were suppose to have just as soon as Open Carry became law.

OC isn't the big bad boogyman it is being made out to be... don't be afraid to try it!

You should try OC for a couple of weekends while you are out & about.. you just might change your mind once you get comfortable and self confident with it..

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I wrote earlier, we will just have to agree to disagree. 43 states have some form of open carry... and your concerns about 'the targeting of OC'ers' have not been proven to have occured.

I choose to live life prepared, but not paranoid about a bunch of hypothetical 'what ifs' that have never played out in this or any other state. To me, your argument against OC isn't any different than the 'blood in the streets' and the 'OK Corral style gun fights' we were suppose to have just as soon as Open Carry became law.

OC isn't the big bad boogyman it is being made out to be... don't be afraid to try it!

You should try OC for a couple of weekends while you are out & about.. you just might change your mind once you get comfortable and self confident with it..
Actually, it had occured at least once in the last couple of years. And as a LEO, I'm pretty sure Michael Brown has OC'd before.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night I was working the black Friday at Yukon. Right before 8PM I did have one woman come up to me and let me know that there was a MWAG somewhere in front of me and she wanted to know if that was allowed. I tried to explain to her that it was okay and why but in all honesty with all the people and stuff happening I doubt she was listening very hard. Unfortunately she stepped away with a disgusted look on her face. but other than that nod a damn was given.

I really wanted to find the guy and give him the thumbs up but the crowds were to fierce to force through. So if you are reading this good job guy in the red shirt!

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The point still stands:

Your going to Wal-Mart and not experiencing any issues as proof that open carry is just fine is still a flawed conclusion.

I too believe open carry problems are few and far between.

However a whole bunch of people text and drive without any consequences as well. It does not mean it's a good idea.

All that said, you are the only one who will be responsible for your actions so everyone should do as they see fit UNTIL it harms someone else.

Personally I try to limit those opportunities but you do not have to.

Michael Brown

So you are saying that most of the time, one will live by jumping out of a plane without a parachute?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading several posts of Mr Browns I get the feeling that the main thing he tries to get across is that we should always think and be aware when we have a gun on our person. The OP should not relax and think that nothing will ever happen when it only takes a moment for the wrong thing to occur. I can't read minds from forum posts, but it is good to hear the story of OC and black friday at Walmart. I don't think that even being in Walmart on black friday is safe. There are too many people packed too tight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom