I received a letter from the Oklahoma Mineral Owners Registry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a scam. I used to work with the founder.

It's simply a way to keep your current address available to records researchers like myself and oil companies so they can contact you to purchase a lease and know where to send your royalty payments.

You'd be amazed at how often people move and don't tell the operator(s) that they have moved or give them a new address. When I went back to work after covid it was tracking owners down so that their back royalties could get paid. One lady had $87k tied up in suspense. She had died and the grand children didn't have a clue as to who to contact as she did not keep very good records. They knew she had a lot of minerals, but didn't have the details.

A service like this is particularly helpful to people who own a lot of different parcels scattered in several different counties. They don't have to fill out a hundred different change of address forms and file them in each county that they own minerals in.

Last edited:

Bad Hombre

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well lthey don't need this to find you and ask about leasing your mineral rights. I don't use this and I've had about 15 or 20 different companies contact me about leasing my mineral rights on about 20 different properties in Oklahoma over the years. Most of this activity was about 5 or 7 years ago and I leased all of my mineral rights at the time on all of my properties. Those leases have all expired now and I still get questions from companies on those mineral rights. So, no need I see to pay money to register with this thing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's simply a way to keep your current address available to records researchers like myself and oil companies so they can contact you to purchase a lease and know where to send your royalty payments.

You'd be amazed at how often people move and don't tell the operator(s) that they have moved or give them a new address. When I went back to work after covid it was tracking owners down so that their back royalties could get paid. One lady had $87k tied up in suspense. She had died and the grand children didn't have a clue as to who to contact as she did keep very good records. They knew she had a lot of minerals, but didn't have the details.

A service like this is particularly helpful to people who own a lot of different parcels scattered in several different counties. They don't have to fill out a hundred different change of address forms and file them in each county that they own minerals in.
Dean Martin?

T-Dog

DPT 3c 89-93 - Desert Storm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You'd be amazed at how often people move and don't tell the operator(s) that they have moved or give them a new address. When I went back to work after covid it was tracking owners down so that their back royalties could get paid. One lady had $87k tied up in suspense. She had died and the grand children didn't have a clue as to who to contact as she did keep very good records. They knew she had a lot of minerals, but didn't have the details.

If it's not a scam why are they trying so hard to make it look like it came from the government?

Edit: They do say they are not a state agency in their FAQ section on their website. But don't see it anywhere else.

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been getting these letters for years. Toss them in trash. They used to be in Edmond and wanted $25 yr.

Go to Okla State Treasurer Unclaimed Property .gov and search names. Long story, but we had oil/gas monies sitting there for years from grandparents.
Ditto this x 1000 - I just round file everything they send. My one little piddling royalty knows very well where to find me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well lthey don't need this to find you and ask about leasing your mineral rights. I don't use this and I've had about 15 or 20 different companies contact me about leasing my mineral rights on about 20 different properties in Oklahoma over the years. Most of this activity was about 5 or 7 years ago and I leased all of my mineral rights at the time on all of my properties. Those leases have all expired now and I still get questions from companies on those mineral rights. So, no need I see to pay money to register with this thing.
This is just one of many tools we use. That's all it is. As long as you have your info current with the County Clerk and it's all indexed to ALL of your properties and don't move you are good. :thumb:

If you own a hundred or two parcels in 17 counties in 4 states that you inherited from your grandparents and all your info is perfectly current because you know exactly what you own and it's status in the county it resides, count yourself lucky and thank your grandparents and parents for their impeccable handling of their property and estates. 99.98% of people don't do it that good.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have 160 acres of minerals in Beckham Co. They have yet to have an issue finding my family through courthouse fillings, to lease it. But its all together as 1 parcel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom