I wonder what would have happened

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm glad I trust my process and stick to it. I weigh each powder charge, but then I weigh the loaded round to make sure it's in the right ball park. For example, a .223 green tip round should weigh somewhere between 180 and 190 grains, (95+24+62) depending on the case. Not looking for anything more than just a final check to make sure my old memory didn't flake out and somehow load a squib since I'm running a four stage progressive.

This particular round only showed about 150 grains, which made no sense. I could hear the powder charge when I shook it next to my ear, but something was clearly amiss.
Pulled it apart and sure enough, 24.5 grains of powder. but if you look close, you can see that there is no lead core. It sticks to the magnet so the penetrator is definitely in there.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I had touched off a 30 grain projectile with 24.5 grains of H335 in a rifle, but I can't believe it would have been anything good. No particular desire to find out either. I have loaded thousands of these and have never seen an SS109 projectile missing the lead core. I suppose you do something long enough, you'll see just about everything.

Attachments

• 20240608_173640.jpg
    20240608_173640.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
  • missing.JPG
    missing.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm glad I trust my process and stick to it. I weigh each powder charge, but then I weigh the loaded round to make sure it's in the right ball park. For example, a .223 green tip round should weigh somewhere between 180 and 190 grains, (95+24+62) depending on the case. Not looking for anything more than just a final check to make sure my old memory didn't flake out and somehow load a squib since I'm running a four stage progressive.

This particular round only showed about 150 grains, which made no sense. I could hear the powder charge when I shook it next to my ear, but something was clearly amiss.
Pulled it apart and sure enough, 24.5 grains of powder. but if you look close, you can see that there is no lead core. It sticks to the magnet so the penetrator is definitely in there.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I had touched off a 130 grain projectile with 24.5 grains of H335 in a rifle, but I can't believe it would have been anything good. No particular desire to find out either. I have loaded thousands of these and have never seen an SS109 projectile missing the lead core. I suppose you do something long enough, you'll see just about everything.
Great catch!

I am not following everything. It appears you are loading 62 grain bullets but say one weighs 130 grains but missing lead core?

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your bullet weight is less than expected, I would think the gun would fire without problems but chamber pressures would be lower. I might be missing something here but I think As long as the bullet diameter was correct there should be little chance in damage to the firearm.

I have never weighed finished rounds because there are so manny variations and you have stacking tolerances (brass can be heavier or lighter, bullet weight can vary up or down etc). Results could vary widely based just on differences in the brass. Brass base and wall thickness would have little or no impact on the performance of the rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the only risk of a "bad issue" would have been if that round didn't have sufficient "oomph" to clear the bore, and then you fired another round behind it into the now obstructed barrel. Other than that, the only foreseeable issues with firing a drastically lighter projo with a charge meant for a heavier one is cycling issues, accuracy issues, or POI shift.

Either way, good catch!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lighter bullet is no big deal. Accuracy would have been who knows where.

When shooting a bullet weight not listed (can be fairly common with cast), use a listed load for a heavier bullet.

My cowboy action loads are light bullets.
For example, .357 loads have been with 102 gr, 95 gr, and as low as 85 gr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom