Identify That Engine Block

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny argument here. Just because most people are familiar with the way they used to make 383's they think thats the only way to do it. Keep in mind MOPAR was doing it before the SBC geeks haha.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a died in the wool small block guy... till I found out the Dodge RB motor could make more horsepower for the same money my chevy valve train was costing me (to spin over 8 grand anyway)

It was pitiful... scouring the country for derilict Winebago motor homes to steal their wedge motors... no replacment for cubic inches

I guess things have changed since the early 80's?

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm scared for you if you think there is a 383 Chevy Block.

Please have someone else do all of your mechanical work.

I'm thinking that instead of being a jerk, you should consider the fact that questions don't necessarily constitute complete ignorance. I have a built 383 stroker in one of my trucks and still consider the "concept" of the stroker motor to be strongly debated. You often run into the "older / poor boy configuration" (no offense intended) and the new concept of the "stroker conversion kits". You see GM coming out with a few different configurations of 383 motors, none of which were ever offered as a factory option in any gm vehicle to my knowledge, but are offered as production replacements for many small blocks. Just like how I see many people throwing zz4 crate engines into first generation camaros. Not a factory option, yet many implement it as a replacement. And yes, I am well aware that Chevy never produced a production "383" motor for factory installation. In fact, I believe the only company that produced a factory 383 was plymouth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom